Linux on a Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on a Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop - Portable ; Hi there. I'm looking to install Linux on an old Toshiba Satellite 225CDS that I just aquired. I'd like to figure out what distributions would be suitable... does anyone know of a site that has a side-by-side comparison of the ...

  1. Linux on a Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop

    Hi there. I'm looking to install Linux on an old Toshiba Satellite
    225CDS that I just aquired. I'd like to figure out what distributions
    would be suitable... does anyone know of a site that has a
    side-by-side comparison of the hardware requirements of various recent
    distros?

    It's a Pentium 133, 48MB RAM, around 1.5GB hard drive. I'm not even
    going to bother with X, as the screen is broken and I just plan to use
    it for a few specific functions I can control remotely via the
    network. Any suggestions? I've seen a couple of reports of old
    versions of Red Hat installed on a 220CDS (presumably similar
    hardware), but I was hoping to use a more recent version (although I
    don't suppose there's any good reason for that). Heck, I may just
    build another LFS system...

    Thanks,
    David Murphy

  2. Re: Linux on a Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop

    In article <1f5af4cc.0408252004.296e5cd9@posting.google.com>,
    David Murphy wrote:
    > Hi there. I'm looking to install Linux on an old Toshiba Satellite
    > 225CDS that I just aquired. I'd like to figure out what distributions
    > would be suitable... does anyone know of a site that has a
    > side-by-side comparison of the hardware requirements of various recent
    > distros?

    I don't know how similar these computers are to yours (not familiar with
    the Satellite line), but these may be of some assistance:

    http://users.ntplx.net/~jdona/toshiba330.html
    http://sam.tregar.com/toshiba_1130.html
    http://seehuhn.de/comp/toshiba.html
    http://www.netti.fi/~lane/110cs.html
    http://www.thorstenhaas.de/toshiba2410/
    http://www-crypto.htw-saarland.de/we...hiba-2410.html

    In general, http://www.google.com/search?q=linux...a+satellite%22

    > It's a Pentium 133, 48MB RAM, around 1.5GB hard drive. I'm not even
    > going to bother with X, as the screen is broken and I just plan to use
    > it for a few specific functions I can control remotely via the
    > network. Any suggestions? I've seen a couple of reports of old
    > versions of Red Hat installed on a 220CDS (presumably similar
    > hardware), but I was hoping to use a more recent version (although I
    > don't suppose there's any good reason for that). Heck, I may just
    > build another LFS system...

    The compilation involved in LFS may get tedious with only 48 MB RAM. I
    recommend looking for a minimal distro (Slackware has a rep for being
    no-nonsense) from which you install pre-compiled binaries.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    CANCER: The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the

+ Reply to Thread