IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up - Portable

This is a discussion on IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up - Portable ; I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great. It's my 'backup machine' and I never use it. Sits in the closet. I want to give it to my 80 year old mother who only needs a ...

  1. IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up

    I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great. It's my
    'backup machine' and I never use it. Sits in the closet. I want to give it to
    my 80 year old mother who only needs a machine to surf and e-mail. She has
    dial-up... and her current computer is almost 'dead" (an 'net appliance'
    called an iOpener... perfect for seniors... but now out of biz.)

    I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux driver
    for it (is there?) Someone told me I can get some kind of card? I don't
    know anything about laptop hardware. Can some kind soul direct me on what to
    buy so that mother can use this with Earthlink? Do I need to configure for
    this new card or whatever?) Anyone have an ancient Thinkpad working on dialup
    (mine works great on broadband). Thanks guys. I appreciate your help... and
    so will my mother.

    Why am I bothering you here? If you have a Jewish mother, you KNOW why!!!

    Al

  2. Re: IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up

    > I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux driver

    Check out linmodems.org (you'll first have to figure out what kind of
    windoem you have in your Thinkpad). Googling for "linux thinkpad 600e
    modem" indicates that there's a driver for it.

    Stefan

  3. Re: IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:31:25 -0700, Al C. wrote:

    > I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great. It's my
    > 'backup machine' and I never use it. Sits in the closet. I want to give it to
    > my 80 year old mother who only needs a machine to surf and e-mail. She has
    > dial-up... and her current computer is almost 'dead" (an 'net appliance'
    > called an iOpener... perfect for seniors... but now out of biz.)
    >
    > I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux driver
    > for it (is there?) Someone told me I can get some kind of card? I don't
    > know anything about laptop hardware. Can some kind soul direct me on what to
    > buy so that mother can use this with Earthlink? Do I need to configure for
    > this new card or whatever?) Anyone have an ancient Thinkpad working on dialup
    > (mine works great on broadband). Thanks guys. I appreciate your help... and
    > so will my mother.
    >
    > Why am I bothering you here? If you have a Jewish mother, you KNOW why!!!
    >
    > Al

    Use an external modem, guaranteed to work.

  4. Re: IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up

    "Al C." writes:

    > I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great.

    Hey, my 600E runs Gentoo 2004.1 and is hardly "ancient"! The
    thing is built like a tank!

    > I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux driver
    > for it (is there?) Someone told me I can get some kind of card?

    IBM has indeed produced an Linux MWave driver for the winmodem
    in the 600E at http://www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/, so feel free to try it
    out. You'll probably have to disable IRDA if you're using it to have
    enough IRQ's to run MVWAVE.

    Otherwise, there are PCMCIA cards, and you can pick up at 28K
    one for less than ten bucks at any used hardware store. I don't know
    how much 56K ones cost, but it can't be bad. But try MWave first. It
    does work, although I have no need of it since my house went to DSL
    outbound an NAT'd wireless internally.

    Elf

+ Reply to Thread