Dell Latitude and 'broken' BIOS - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell Latitude and 'broken' BIOS - Portable ; dmesg reports Dell Latitude with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local APIC. (Mdk 10.0 on Latitude CPx H500GT) What are the consequences of this brokenness of the BIOS (and what is an APIC?). I've been having problems trying ...

  1. Dell Latitude and 'broken' BIOS

    dmesg reports
    Dell Latitude with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local APIC.

    (Mdk 10.0 on Latitude CPx H500GT)

    What are the consequences of this brokenness of the BIOS (and what is an
    APIC?). I've been having problems trying to get a RalinkTek (sic: not
    Realtek) RT2500 PCMCIA wireless card working: with Ralinktek's drivers it
    kinda works but crawls (see
    http://61.222.76.235/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=196#196) and with ndiswrapper it
    hangs without even a kernel Oops despite having been compiled with 'make
    DEBUG=1' (my message about this to the ndiswrapper-general mailing list
    doesn't seem to have made it onto the web archive of the list at
    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...forum_id=36471 even though I
    saw my message via the list itself).

    I also have occasional problems with k3b giving errors trying to erase or
    burn CDs: exiting and restarting k3b, or if that fails rebooting, fixes
    this. Suspend and resume also works sometimes but other times leaves the
    screen corrupted.

    Are any or all of these problems consistent with the broken BIOS report? And
    is it possible to upgrade the BIOS, and if so how (open case and replace
    chip, or flash upgrade?)

    Also in the bootup/dmesg messages it asks me to 'report your bios at
    http://linux.dell.com/edd/results.html'. There are several things I don't
    understand here. STFW tells me that EDD is BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive calls,
    for which I am none the wiser (though I am at least better informed :-)
    The page says "Under Linux 2.5.44 or above, you can enable CONFIG_EDD
    (CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL is also necessary), and load the 'edd' module" but
    doesn't say how you might do these things. I'm not clear what the point of
    the whole exercise is, especially if the BIOS is broken anyway?

  2. Re: Dell Latitude and 'broken' BIOS

    I cant add specifific information to your problem, but there are three
    things that might be possible here:

    i) look if there is a bios-upgrade for your machine. Maybe this solves
    everything.

    ii) look if there is a bios-downgrade for your machine !! maybe just
    your very specific bios-version has certain problems/errors.

    iii) maybe your bios is known to have problems with linux. The specific
    errormessages indicate this. This means that the kind of problems is
    documented somewhere and you might find a list of broken things there,
    which would relax your future troubleshootings on your machine.

    best,
    peter

    --
    http://www2.goldfisch.at/know_list