IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund - Portable

This is a discussion on IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund - Portable ; I'm thinking of purchasing an IBM ThinkPad soon, and I'd like to know how easy it is to return Windows XP Pro to IBM for the Windows refund, as stipulated in the EULA. Does anyone know what the refund price ...

  1. IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund

    I'm thinking of purchasing an IBM ThinkPad soon, and I'd like to know how
    easy it is to return Windows XP Pro to IBM for the Windows refund, as
    stipulated in the EULA. Does anyone know what the refund price is? Has
    anyone had to take IBM to small-claims court? If so, what happened and what
    was the end result? Thanks.

  2. Re: IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund

    Windows XP Professional is the only OS available for the ThinkPad T42 I'm
    considering, not Windows XP Home.

    > As a practical matter you have a couple of choices, buy it with XP Home
    > which means you waste less money but you get an unusable version of
    > Windows, or buy a different laptop.

  3. Re: IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund

    Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:52:35 +0000 tarihinde, MH dedi ki:

    > I'm thinking of purchasing an IBM ThinkPad soon, and I'd like to know how
    > easy it is to return Windows XP Pro to IBM for the Windows refund, as
    > stipulated in the EULA. Does anyone know what the refund price is? Has
    > anyone had to take IBM to small-claims court? If so, what happened and what
    > was the end result? Thanks.

    I would buy a Linux pre-installed laptop, not only because of cost, but
    more importantly because of warranties.

    With a Linux pre-installed laptop, even if you scrap the shipped Linux and
    install your own favorite distro, you would be sure that every component
    will work with Linux. And you would have the option of bringing it back
    for a refund if some part of the laptop is found to be incompatible with
    Linux.

    With a Windows pre-installed laptop, you are on your own.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  4. Re: IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund

    >HP is selling a laptop with SUSE on
    > it. It's a Centrino machine and it's priced competitively with other
    > Centrinos. If you want to encourage the Linux laptop market the thing to
    > do is to buy the HP not a box from Linux Certified. If HP doesn't succeed
    > with this offering that will effective kill the Linux laptop market
    > forever.

    HP doesn't make it easy to but the nx5000 either. First, it's being
    marketed as a business laptop, through their business sales, not consumer
    sales. SUSE Linux HP Edition 9.1 is listed as being a feature, first
    bullet, at
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...33-395654.html.
    However, if you go to
    http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/cto...&lang=en&cc=us,
    and try to customize one of the five base models, only the last model listed
    (the $1,505 one) is customizable with SUSE Linux HP Edition 9.1. Common to
    all five models is a 4200rpm drive. This is agonizingly slow, considering
    that the new standard is 5400rpm, and Hitachi drives that run at 7200rpm
    (comparable to desktop drives) are quite common. Pulling up data from a
    4200rpm can take a long time. Even worse (as you can replace the hard
    drive) is that all five systems use a shared memory architecture (SMA).
    What this means that instead of the graphics chip having its own memory, it
    uses system memory instead, which is slower and obviously gobbles up memory.
    If you want to use WINE, run native-Linux games, or even just graphics
    intensive apps or something like CAD, you're screwed. Of course, this isn't
    upgradable. What HP did was create an underpowered ****box, then hope that
    business users (as this is what they're aiming at) are too clueless to
    figure this out, and that people would pounce on the Linux angle while
    ignoring everything else. That and it uses a glidepad. (personal
    preference there). As for "killing the Linux laptop market forever," that's
    hyperbole. IBM and Dell both offered and then discontinued Linux laptops,
    and the market still exists. There are a handful (if expensive) laptop
    company's that specialize in Linux laptops. And, of course, you are free to
    install Linux on your laptop yourself. Good luck with the Windows Refund
    though, as you're unlikely to get a OS-less laptop from any of the major
    OEMs. Besides, HP isn't playing very hard for the Linux laptop market
    anyways.

  5. Re: IBM ThinkPads & Windows Refund

    > 4200rpm can take a long time. Even worse (as you can replace the hard
    > drive) is that all five systems use a shared memory architecture (SMA).
    > What this means that instead of the graphics chip having its own memory, it
    > uses system memory instead, which is slower and obviously gobbles up memory.

    For reading mail and text processing, it works just dandy, tho. It uses but
    a tiny fraction of the overall memory anyway (what? 4MB maybe? 8MB at the
    very worst?). It does have the disadvantage that it uses up main
    memory'sbandwidth so it tend to slow down the overall performance, but again
    we're talking less than 10%: nothing you'd notice.

    Admittedly, it's worthless for games-like stuff, but that's not the
    targetted market anyway, so the decision is not stupid.

    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread