custom kernel for SuSE 9.1 on Thinkpad - Portable

This is a discussion on custom kernel for SuSE 9.1 on Thinkpad - Portable ; I'm trying to make a custom kernel for my SuSE 9.1 system, which is an IBM Thinkpad T40 (1.4 GHz P4-M, 768 MB RAM, 26(?) GB HD). The HD has 4 primary partitions.[1] The reasons I'm doing this are many. ...

  1. custom kernel for SuSE 9.1 on Thinkpad

    I'm trying to make a custom kernel for my SuSE 9.1 system, which is an IBM
    Thinkpad T40 (1.4 GHz P4-M, 768 MB RAM, 26(?) GB HD). The HD has 4 primary
    partitions.[1] The reasons I'm doing this are many. but among them is to
    eliminate the drivers and options it uses for which I don't have the
    hardware support (i.e., almost all of them). For instance, I don't have
    RAID (nor is it feasible on this machine). The stock SuSE kernel is 1.5 MB;
    the minimal attempt is about half that.

    I've done this many times in the past, and it's (usually) no big deal.
    This time, however, it's being a bear.

    I'm starting with the SuSE stock .config (gzip -d < /proc/config.gz >
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.7/.config), and (after I get that to work) modifying it
    to fit my needs.[2] But I get many errors early in the boot sequence.[3]
    The errors are similar to (similar because I'm copying by hand):

    hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
    hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBASect=58542742, sector=58542742

    That pair repeated, with occasional

    ide0: reset: success

    or

    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 58542742

    thrown in. LBASect and the two sectors are the same number. (How big are
    the sectors?) The errors repeat 9 times before it advances to the next
    block. I get no errors when I run "dd if=/dev/hda4 of=/dev/null bs=1k
    count=1k". I don't suppose there's any way I could log the errors...

    This drive works fine under the stock SuSE kernel and under XP, so it's
    not a hardware issue.

    I've tried a few changes I found (on the LKML archives and other places) as
    suggested solutions for people with similar problems -- don't share IDE
    interrupts, don't use the old MFM/RLL driver (I wasn't), mount the
    partitions 'sync', and maybe a few others I've forgotten. None helped. I
    did have to make reiserfs built in, not modularized; SuSE uses an initrd
    but I didn't want to (or know how). Before I did that, it couldn't mount
    the root fs at all. I'm not sure this is an improvement.

    Does anybody have any clues or pointers? Thanks. I looked at the Kernel
    Build HOWTO. It's pretty good as far as it goes, but it has only general
    advice.

    [1] No extended partitions, but I tried it both ways.

    [2] Actually, now I've given up on that and am starting from what should be
    the minimum required to boot -- no networking, no frills.

    [3] Errors start after "Init version xxx starting". Not immediately after
    it, but soon. The exact start point scrolls up too quickly. Is there
    a way to stop it or slow it down? I'm thinking reiserfs debug, or some
    magic keystroke that stops the CPU but leaves the screen up.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  2. Re: custom kernel for SuSE 9.1 on Thinkpad

    In article <411d068f$1_2@127.0.0.1>,
    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    > On 2004-08-05, Hactar wrote:
    > >
    > > [snipped]
    > >
    > > I'm starting with the SuSE stock .config (gzip -d < /proc/config.gz >
    > > /usr/src/linux-2.6.7/.config), and (after I get that to work) modifying it
    > > to fit my needs.[2] But I get many errors early in the boot sequence.[3]
    > > The errors are similar to (similar because I'm copying by hand):
    > >
    > > hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
    > > hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBASect=58542742, sector=58542742
    > >
    > > That pair repeated, with occasional
    > >
    > > ide0: reset: success
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 58542742
    > >

    > tastes and smells like a DMA issue. You are not doing anything silly like
    > 'hdparm -d1 -X86 /dev/hda1' or some other high number? Probably worth
    > checking what happens if you compile a kernel with _no_ IDE DMA support and
    > see what happens (ie, no bus-mastering or generic dma support).

    I figured it out. Thinkpads are shipped with a malformed partition table,
    one where the cylinders available for partitions does not equal the total
    cylinders available on disk. A compressed version of the "as shipped" hard
    drive is in the "extra" space (~3.2 GB out of a 30 GB drive). The SuSE
    installer and kernel have no qualms about putting a partition where it ends
    past where the partition table says it should, and reading it once it's
    there. A stock kernel won't read such a partition (/dev/hda4, /usr in my
    case). A quick fix was backing up /usr under the SuSE kernel, and
    recreating and restoring it under the custom kernel. Eventually I'll write
    a new partition table (since SuSE already hosed the "special" area for me...
    I probably wouldn't have used it anyhow).

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

  3. Re: custom kernel for SuSE 9.1 on Thinkpad

    In article <411d30d8_2@127.0.0.1>,
    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    > On 2004-08-13, Hactar wrote:
    > >
    > > I figured it out. Thinkpads are shipped with a malformed partition table,
    > > one where the cylinders available for partitions does not equal the total
    > > cylinders available on disk.
    > >

    > that thing is their 'pre-desktop' partition, well unallocated space.

    Thanks. Couldn't remember the IBM-ese for it.

    > Of course if you are like myself, and that seems to be the case, that
    > parition did not last the car journey after I bought my T40p on eBay I
    > thought "4GB to have a recovered Windoze setup......naaaa"

    Well, I bought the laptop new, so the pre-desktop area was good to have for
    maybe a week, but after that time I'd done too much customizing to go back
    to "stock". Now of course if in a fit of madness I wanted to restore I
    couldn't, as it's been obliterated by reiserfs.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    SCORPIO: Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming

+ Reply to Thread