    with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

  2. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    General Schvantzkoph wrote in message news:...
    > I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
    > with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    > Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    > Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    > version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    > is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    > the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    > versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    > 10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

    I haven't had any luck trying the HP site for a few weeks. All the
    links say that hpshopping.com is not available.

  3. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:18:13 -0700, evil_bastard wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
    >> with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    >> Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    >> Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    >> version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    >> is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    >> the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    >> versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    >> 10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

    > I haven't had any luck trying the HP site for a few weeks. All the
    > links say that hpshopping.com is not available.

    The site is fine, sounds like you have a problem with your DNS server.

  4. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    General Schvantzkoph wrote in message news:...
    > I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
    > with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    > Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    > Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    > version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    > is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    > the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    > versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    > 10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

    I'm beginning to eye similar notebooks, so your post got me Googling
    -- I'm sure you have done so already.

    This one was the fullest account:
    http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/

    Was disappointed that it doesn't run 64 bit code and it seems the
    Broadcom requires ndsiwrapper (confirmed in a number of posts).

    You might try, as the above poster did, to find a display version that
    you can try out with Knoppix as a test drive.

    good luck,
    prg
    email above disabled

  5. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:34:05 -0700, P Gentry wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
    >> with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    >> Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    >> Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    >> version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    >> is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    >> the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    >> versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    >> 10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

    > I'm beginning to eye similar notebooks, so your post got me Googling
    > -- I'm sure you have done so already.
    >
    > This one was the fullest account:
    > http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/
    >
    > Was disappointed that it doesn't run 64 bit code and it seems the
    > Broadcom requiresconfirmed in a number of posts).
    >
    > You might try, as the above poster did, to find a display version that
    > you can try out with Knoppix as a test drive.
    >
    > good luck,
    > prg
    > email above disabled

    I've already ordered it, enough people seem to be running Linux on it so
    I know the basic functionality is there. I've read that Mandrake includes
    ndsiwrapper so hopefully I can get the wireless card to work, if not it's
    not the end of the world, my house is wired for ethernet. The wireless on
    my old laptop works so badly that I've never bothered to use it, I just
    use ethernet.

  6. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    General Schvantzkoph wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:34:05 -0700, P Gentry wrote:
    >
    > > General Schvantzkoph wrote in message news:...
    > >> I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
    > >> with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    > >> Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    > >> Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    > >> version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    > >> is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    > >> the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    > >> versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    > >> 10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

    > > I'm beginning to eye similar notebooks, so your post got me Googling
    > > -- I'm sure you have done so already.
    > >
    > > This one was the fullest account:
    > > http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/
    > >
    > > Was disappointed that it doesn't run 64 bit code and it seems the
    > > Broadcom requiresconfirmed in a number of posts).
    > >
    > > You might try, as the above poster did, to find a display version that
    > > you can try out with Knoppix as a test drive.
    > >
    > > good luck,
    > > prg
    > > email above disabled

    > I've already ordered it, enough people seem to be running Linux on it so
    > I know the basic functionality is there. I've read that Mandrake includes
    > ndsiwrapper so hopefully I can get the wireless card to work, if not it's
    > not the end of the world, my house is wired for ethernet. The wireless on
    > my old laptop works so badly that I've never bothered to use it, I just
    > use ethernet.

    If you can't get the ndiswrapper to work, you can try driverloader
    from

    www.linuxant.com

    I bought my license for $19.95 and had no problem installing it from
    its installed web based interface. I will need your windows driver
    for the wireless card.

    Now if they could do this for video cards, especially ATI proprietary
    notebook cards, that would be cool.

  7. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:56:10 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
    > with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
    > Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
    > Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
    > version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
    > is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
    > the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
    > versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
    > 10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

    Just wanted to report that Ndiswrapper works fine on Fedora Core 2 (32
    bit) with a 2.6.8.1 kernel. Certain scripts in FC2 don't work, ifdown
    wlan0 for example. However ifconfig wlan0 down works fine.

  8. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    If you compile NDISWRAPPER and change the default wireless ethernet name
    from wlan0 to eth1, you may find that the ifup/ifdown scripts, etc. will
    work. This has been my experience under Mandrake. I also found that
    dhclient didn't like to function with wlan0, but did work with eth1.

    Your mileage may vary of course... I haven't tried Fedora. I only use
    Mandrake and Gentoo, and my laptop is a different model.

    FWIW,
    -S

  9. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:05:44 -0500, SD wrote:

    > If you compile NDISWRAPPER and change the default wireless ethernet name
    > from wlan0 to eth1, you may find that the ifup/ifdown scripts, etc. will
    > work. This has been my experience under Mandrake. I also found that
    > dhclient didn't like to function with wlan0, but did work with eth1.
    >
    > Your mileage may vary of course... I haven't tried Fedora. I only use
    > Mandrake and Gentoo, and my laptop is a different model.
    >
    > FWIW,
    > -S

    I'll give that a try. I've been using ifconfig wlan0 down and up and that
    works fine. I don't use the wireless connection much because I have
    ethernet everywhere so I don't mind typing a couple of extra characters.
    The important thing is that it does work and seems reliable. My old laptop
    had a Linksys WPC11 V3 which had a native Linux driver that didn't work
    for ****, if you turned on WEP it hung and the only way to fix it was to
    power cycle the machine. I wish there was an Ndiswrapper like thing for
    winmodem drivers that would fix the other big device headache.

  10. Re: Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:05:44 -0500, SD wrote:
    >

    >>If you compile NDISWRAPPER and change the default wireless ethernet name
    >>from wlan0 to eth1, you may find that the ifup/ifdown scripts, etc. will
    >>work. This has been my experience under Mandrake. I also found that
    >>dhclient didn't like to function with wlan0, but did work with eth1.
    >>
    >>Your mileage may vary of course... I haven't tried Fedora. I only use
    >>Mandrake and Gentoo, and my laptop is a different model.
    >>
    >>FWIW,
    >>-S

    > I'll give that a try. I've been using ifconfig wlan0 down and up and that
    > works fine. I don't use the wireless connection much because I have
    > ethernet everywhere so I don't mind typing a couple of extra characters.
    > The important thing is that it does work and seems reliable. My old laptop
    > had a Linksys WPC11 V3 which had a native Linux driver that didn't work
    > for ****, if you turned on WEP it hung and the only way to fix it was to
    > power cycle the machine. I wish there was an Ndiswrapper like thing for
    > winmodem drivers that would fix the other big device headache.

    well yes, but modems are really *very* cheap now so its not hard to
    get one that does work.

    NDISWRAPPWER works for me with broadcom on my son's laptop with RedhatX
    where X is whatever the latest version before fedora was (I forget the
    number). The card is a belkin. The configuration is crap and and
    the card doesn't always respond but if I keep on trying it does
    eventually. I have a script that does a reset to the card then
    restarts the pcmcia. Eventually wlan0 comes up and the thing works
    but I'm lost in the mystery of why the card only responds sometimes
    (it works better when warm!) and where the code that brings up wlan0
    is called from and why that code *eventually* works also if I call the
    script repeatedly.

    If it helps I'll chase up the detail.

    I found what to do by experimenting with pcmcia cardctl commands,
    most of which had no effect and eventually found a combination
    that works reproducibly if I keep on doing it. The behaviour of the
    card with these commands is about the same as my teeenage son when
    he is asked to get out of bed in the morning - sort of really sluggish
    and not responding but if you keep on at it eventually it works.

    andy

+ Reply to Thread