Clemens Ager wrote:
> I've been playing around with this for some time but was unable to find
> any information on this online.
> My problem is as follows: I got a Toshiba P10 with P4 processor.
> Gentoo Linux 2004.0 installed, kernel 2.6.4.
> The whole system works as it should. Only every (I guess) 5 mins the
> display flickers.
>
> I found out that after every flicker the file
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log gets following lines:
> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x800"
> (II) Mouse2: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
> (II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
>
> I haven't apm in kernel - and am unable to get it in (has something to do
> with smp, and p4 - to be honest all I can tell that neither compiling in
> or as modules has succeeded).
> And I don't know how to stop X demanding
> apm. (I tried disabling all the modules I had loaded. Even disabling dpms
> shows no effect).
>
> I'd appreciate any ideas in which direction I could try next.
>
> Thanks,
> Clemens

Hi Clemens,
sorry I wont be of any help concerning that problem. I have a P 10 too
with Gentoo 2004 on it and was wondering how you got X to work at
1280x800. I have been trying for some time now but I cannot get Xfree
to run at that resolution. Could you possibly send me your XF86Config
file and anything else you did to get it work? What are the frequencies
(horizontal and vertical) of the monitor?
Thanks a lot
Matt