Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT - Portable

This is a discussion on Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT - Portable ; Hi all I have what appears to be a driver/IO conflict that I would greatly appreciate some assistance with fixing! I have recently acquired an older laptop - a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT - that I am using to learn ...

  1. Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT

    Hi all

    I have what appears to be a driver/IO conflict that I would greatly
    appreciate some assistance with fixing!

    I have recently acquired an older laptop - a Toshiba Satellite Pro
    460CDT - that I am using to learn the Debian ropes. It came with a
    3COM Dell-branded PCMCIA network adapter, model 3CCFE575CT.

    I have installed Debian 3.0r2, and everything has gone perfectly. I've
    got my setup nicely customised, and am enjoying myself immensely
    playing with everything. There is, however, a slight problem.

    The laptop will sometimes freeze or lockup when using the network.
    This is intermittent, but occurs more often with a high network load.
    It occurs as regularly when using X or simply on the console. I can
    cause the laptop to freeze by issuing a 'ping -f ' to any host on the
    local subnet (I assume it would be the same with the public Internet,
    but I don't see any point in flooding someone else's network to find
    out). After some time, usually less than 20 to 30 seconds, the laptop
    will lock up.

    The frustrating thing about this is that when booting to Knoppix 3.3,
    the problem does not appear. I can 'ping -f' my heart out, and the
    laptop remains rock solid.

    I have copied the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file from the Knoppix image
    to my Debian install, thinking it was a IO port conflict, but this has
    not resolved the issue. I have increased the PCI Latency Timer setting
    (setpci -H1 -s *:* latency_timer=64) but this has not resolved it
    either. I did this because the Knoppix boot messages report that the
    Knoppix installer sets the PCI latency to this value.

    So, there is obviously a difference in the PCMCIA configuration on
    Knoppix and Debian, but I simply don't know where to begin to transfer
    the settings over - or even if this is possible. Can someone please
    point me in the right direction? Has anyone dealt with a problem like
    this, or similar, in the past?

    Many thanks
    Matt Barrett

  2. Re: Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT

    Matt Barrett wrote:

    > The frustrating thing about this is that when booting to Knoppix 3.3,
    > the problem does not appear. I can 'ping -f' my heart out, and the
    > laptop remains rock solid.

    > So, there is obviously a difference in the PCMCIA configuration on
    > Knoppix and Debian, but I simply don't know where to begin to transfer
    > the settings over - or even if this is possible.

    It doesn't sound like a configuration difference. More likely,
    a different driver/kernel version.

    -- Dave

  3. Re: Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:

    > Matt Barrett wrote:
    >
    > > So, there is obviously a difference in the PCMCIA configuration on
    > > Knoppix and Debian, but I simply don't know where to begin to transfer
    > > the settings over - or even if this is possible.

    > It doesn't sound like a configuration difference. More likely,
    > a different driver/kernel version.

    Thanks for this pointer. I have compiled a new kernel - 2.4.25, and
    included support for the network card. I will see if this fixes the
    issue when I get the interface up and running again.

    Matt

  4. Re: Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...

    > It doesn't sound like a configuration difference. More likely,
    > a different driver/kernel version.

    A re-compile with kernel 2.4.25, with Debian patches, still shows the
    same behaviour. I am using the in-kernel support for my network card
    now, but 'ping -f ' still locks the machine.

    This time, however, the cursor remains blinking on the screen. I
    cannot ^C the process, or get any other response from the machine. A
    hard-reset is required.

    Would it be fair to say that I should try and reproduce the exact
    combination of versions as is found in Knoppix, even if this means not
    using the latest versions?

    Cheers
    Matt

  5. Re: Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT

    Matt Barrett wrote:

    > Would it be fair to say that I should try and reproduce the exact
    > combination of versions as is found in Knoppix, even if this means not
    > using the latest versions?

    You should at least identify what those versions are. And, compare
    startup messages.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread