usb registration failure at boot time unless device attached - Portable

This is a discussion on usb registration failure at boot time unless device attached - Portable ; Hello all, I have a strange problem with my laptop (JVC mini note PC/MP-XP7230), a problem I have not encountered on any other laptop. The JVC is currently running Debian 3r2 with kernel 2.4.21. Practically everything works just fine and ...

  1. usb registration failure at boot time unless device attached

    Hello all,

    I have a strange problem with my laptop (JVC mini note PC/MP-XP7230), a
    problem I have not encountered on any other laptop. The JVC is currently
    running Debian 3r2 with kernel 2.4.21. Practically everything works just
    fine and it's a great system, especially with Linux.

    The problem is that if I boot the system up without something like a USB
    storage device attached to either of the USB ports on the system, the
    USB hardware is essentially de-registered on boot-up and unavailable
    thereafter. Here is a snippet of output from dmesg:

    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xcf871000, IRQ 11
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0f.0, NEC Corporation USB
    usb-ohci.c: USB HC TakeOver failed!
    Trying to vfree() nonexistent vm area (cf871000)

    If however a USB pen drive, say, is attached before booting up, the USB
    sub-system is recognized and everything is great. Again some dmesg output:

    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xcf871000, IRQ 11
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0f.0, NEC Corporation USB
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 2 ports detected

    This problem is particularly annoying as the built-in WLAN is USB based.
    Attaching a USB mouse at boot up also doesn't work.

    Has anybody else had this problem and, more importanly, can anybody
    suggest a solution?

    cheers,
    eric
    --
    Dr E S Fraga, Dept Chemical Engineering, UCL, e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
    ..ooo.ooo.ooo..o...o...o....oo..ooo.oo...o.....o.o ....ooo.ooo.o...

  2. Re: usb registration failure at boot time unless device attached

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:22:06 +0100, E S Fraga staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > running Debian 3r2 with kernel 2.4.21. The problem is that if I boot
    > the system up without something like a USB storage device attached to
    > either of the USB ports on the system, the USB hardware is essentially
    > de-registered on boot-up and unavailable thereafter.

    > usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xcf871000, IRQ 11
    > usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0f.0, NEC Corporation USB
    > usb-ohci.c: USB HC TakeOver failed!
    > Trying to vfree() nonexistent vm area (cf871000)

    ISTR a recent posting on the linux-kernel mailing list about an OHCI
    bugfix that addressed a similar problem... oops, the kernel-traffic
    archives say that was a fix for 2.6.4. Anyway, if I were you, I'd
    update your kernel to the most recent 2.4.26 build and see if the
    problem persists. You'll want to do that anyway for the expanded USB
    device lists.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!