Kernel uncompresses very slowly - Portable

This is a discussion on Kernel uncompresses very slowly - Portable ; Hi all, My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A21m running Debian unstable and kernel 2.6.4. Everything works perfectly except for the fact that, upon boot-up, the kernel is uncompressed far too slowly for an 800MHz system: it takes something like ...

  1. Kernel uncompresses very slowly

    Hi all,

    My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A21m running Debian unstable and kernel
    2.6.4. Everything works perfectly except for the fact that, upon boot-up,
    the kernel is uncompressed far too slowly for an 800MHz system: it takes
    something like a minute. Before and after that, the system runs about as
    quickly as can be expected.

    I have no idea why the kernel is uncompressed so slowly on this system; I
    don't hear any disk thrashing. I thought that perhaps some BIOS setting
    might be wrong, but even though I'm running the latest firmware there's
    nothing to configure in that area. I've tried several different hard
    disks, but always get the same result. I also get the same with different
    kernels (2.4.2x, 2.6.x) and different disk formats (ext2, ext3, reiserfs).
    Could it be that the boot partition's block size is not what the BIOS
    expects? That sounds dumb to me, but I've run out of ideas.

    Obviously, any advice on how to solve this problem would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Jaap

  2. Re: Kernel uncompresses very slowly

    >> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:14:14 +0200,
    >> Jaap Winius said:

    > Hi all, My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A21m running Debian
    > unstable and kernel 2.6.4. Everything works perfectly except
    > for the fact that, upon boot-up, the kernel is uncompressed
    > far too slowly for an 800MHz system: it takes something like
    > a minute. Before and after that, the system runs about as
    > quickly as can be expected.

    Check your disk DMA settings, e.g.

    # hdparm /dev/hda

    it may be turning on DMA during the boot sequence, but not
    "k"eeping the settings between uptimes.

    That would be my first place-to-look.

    hth

  3. Re: Kernel uncompresses very slowly

    > My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A21m running Debian unstable and kernel
    > 2.6.4. Everything works perfectly except for the fact that, upon boot-up,
    > the kernel is uncompressed far too slowly for an 800MHz system: it takes
    > something like a minute. Before and after that, the system runs about as
    > quickly as can be expected.

    My crystal ball is pretty couldy at the moment, but I faintly distinguish
    something that looks like LILO. Try GRUB instead.

    Stefan "whose ThinkPad X30 takes many seconds to load the kernel
    with LILO but does it instantaneously with GRUB"

  4. Re: Kernel uncompresses very slowly

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:33:37 +0000, Stefan Monnier wrote:

    > My crystal ball is pretty couldy at the moment, but I faintly
    > distinguish something that looks like LILO. Try GRUB instead.
    >

    > Stefan "whose ThinkPad X30 takes many seconds to load the kernel
    > with LILO but does it instantaneously with GRUB"

    It works: now my Thinkpad A21m loads the kernel instantaneously as well!
    Many thinks for the tip, Stefan.

    Cheers,

    Jaap

+ Reply to Thread