how to enable special laptop buttons? - Portable

This is a discussion on how to enable special laptop buttons? - Portable ; Hi, I have laptop with "browser" and "email" buttons, how do I enable them in my Mandrake 10? When I press them nothing happens, and I wish to make them work. For example that "browser" button launches FireFox. How can ...

  1. how to enable special laptop buttons?

    Hi, I have laptop with "browser" and "email" buttons, how do I enable them
    in my Mandrake 10? When I press them nothing happens, and I wish to make
    them work. For example that "browser" button launches FireFox. How can I
    do this?

  2. Re: how to enable special laptop buttons?

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:18:11 +0200, Valent Turkovic staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > Hi, I have laptop with "browser" and "email" buttons, how do I enable
    > them in my Mandrake 10? When I press them nothing happens, and I wish
    > to make them work. For example that "browser" button launches FireFox.

    It would help if you posted the make and model of this laptop. On some
    laptops, the special buttons generate normal scancodes which you can see
    by starting xev in an xterm/konsole and pressing the special buttons.
    Then, all you need to do is to use xbindkeys or gtk-xbindkeys to bind
    these button presses to user-defined actions. Use
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search to search comp.os.linux.x
    for keyword "xbindkeys" for more info on that.

    On other laptops, the special buttons don't generate normal scancodes.
    You'll need to use another program to read the events that these buttons
    generate. For IBM Thinkpads, the utility you need is called "tpb", and
    it's available on http://freshmeat.net/ , just download it, compile it,
    and modify /etc/tpbrc to your liking. Post the make and model of your
    laptop if you want more specific advice. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: how to enable special laptop buttons?

    On Monday 19 April 2004 15:18, Valent Turkovic
    (valent.turkovic_NO_SPAM_@vip.hr) held forth in comp.os.linux.portable
    ():

    > Hi, I have laptop with "browser" and "email" buttons, how do I enable them
    > in my Mandrake 10? When I press them nothing happens, and I wish to make
    > them work. For example that "browser" button launches FireFox. How can I
    > do this?

    Look into xhkeys.

+ Reply to Thread