Suspend without ACPI support - ACPI support - Portable

This is a discussion on Suspend without ACPI support - ACPI support - Portable ; Hi. I am considering buying an Inspiron 5150 and discovered, after some research, that ACPI support is -at best- partially working. But swsusp2 [ http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/ ] project states (in the 'requirements' section [ http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/options.html ]) that ACPI support (in kernel?) ...

  1. Suspend without ACPI support - ACPI support

    Hi.

    I am considering buying an Inspiron 5150 and discovered, after some
    research, that ACPI support is -at best- partially working.

    But swsusp2 [ http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/ ] project states (in the
    'requirements' section [ http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/options.html ])
    that ACPI support (in kernel?) is no longer required.

    I don't know if this is just too good to be true. It would mean that no
    matter (well, almost 'no matter' really) how bad or buggy the BIOS is,
    or how incomplete/buggy the kernel (including the acpi patches) ACPI
    support is, users should be able to suspend to disk and resume.

    Am I right?

    Another question for you guys: how is ACPI working in the Inspiron 5150?
    I'm concerned about battery life, because being unable to change the CPU
    frequency (power consumption?) would mean that the battery will always
    last the minimum possible time.

    Thanks in advance to all again.

    Best regards,

    Ezequiel

  2. Re: Suspend without ACPI support - ACPI support

    Ezequiel Valenzuela wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am considering buying an Inspiron 5150 and discovered, after some
    > research, that ACPI support is -at best- partially working.
    >
    > But swsusp2 [ http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/ ] project states (in the
    > 'requirements' section [ http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/options.html ])
    > that ACPI support (in kernel?) is no longer required.
    >
    > I don't know if this is just too good to be true. It would mean that
    > no matter (well, almost 'no matter' really) how bad or buggy the BIOS
    > is, or how incomplete/buggy the kernel (including the acpi patches)
    > ACPI support is, users should be able to suspend to disk and resume.
    >
    > Am I right?

    I think that all it means is that SWSUSP does not not require the ACPI
    patch in the kernel. AFAIK, SWSUSP never required an ACPI BIOS. I
    recently tried SWSUSP (on my HP ze5300), BTW, and while suspend worked
    like a champ, I could never get it to resume cleanly. Hopefully your
    milage will vary.

    -jeff

  3. Re: Suspend without ACPI support - ACPI support

    swsusp needs ACPI.
    swsusp2 does not require ACPI.

    To resume successfully either your hardware is stateless (i guess some
    things are) or the kernel drivers for your hardware have to support power
    management (this is not ACPI specific), so that they reinitialize
    everything correctly. Usually works best with the most recent 2.6 kernel.

    Best,
    Volker

+ Reply to Thread