Linux laptop - what to buy? - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux laptop - what to buy? - Portable ; Hi. I know this question has been asked before, but I have some constraints to add: Does anybody here know about a very well supported laptop for Linux? (either by the company (unlikely) or by the current software versions (current ...

  1. Linux laptop - what to buy?

    Hi.

    I know this question has been asked before, but I have some constraints
    to add:

    Does anybody here know about a very well supported laptop for Linux?
    (either by the company (unlikely) or by the current software versions
    (current kernel and packages)).

    Please note that I live in the UK. I want the laptop to be/have:

    1. Perfect suspend to disk/resume.
    2. Very good battery life (more than 2 hours would be nice).
    3. Excellent devices support.
    4. Battery consumption wise: ACPI should work well and should decrease
    CPU battery usage automatically.
    5. Of course, within my budget (1000 tops, ideally around 850).

    I was initially thinking about a Dell Inspiron 5150, but web searches
    (and yes, tuxmobil.org too) put me off. Then I started searching for
    Acer 1355LC Linux support, but again some problems seem to go unsolved.

    I can deal kernel patching and fancy system customization (patches,
    recompiling, etc.).

    I have just read of a guy that had an IBM Thinkpad and liked it. Is that
    the "less problematic" choice? You would expect something from IBM
    (other than "conceptual" TV/magazine ads).

    What other brands (and lines within that brand) do you recommend?

    Thank you all.

    Ezequiel

  2. Re: Linux laptop - what to buy?

    Ezequiel Valenzuela wrote:
    > I have just read of a guy that had an IBM Thinkpad and liked it. Is that
    > the "less problematic" choice? You would expect something from IBM
    > (other than "conceptual" TV/magazine ads).

    i'll second the IBM Thinkpad choice. i've installed Linux on 3 different
    models and they all worked pretty much out of the box.
    i'm using a Thinkpad T20 now, and it's been great.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

  3. Re: Linux laptop - what to buy?

    johnny bobby bee wrote in message news:...
    > Ezequiel Valenzuela wrote:
    > > I have just read of a guy that had an IBM Thinkpad and liked it. Is that
    > > the "less problematic" choice? You would expect something from IBM
    > > (other than "conceptual" TV/magazine ads).

    > i'll second the IBM Thinkpad choice. i've installed Linux on 3 different
    > models and they all worked pretty much out of the box.
    > i'm using a Thinkpad T20 now, and it's been great.

    How about "suspend to disk" and the other features I need working? Any
    feedback? What about battery life?

    Best regards,

    Ezequiel

+ Reply to Thread