MDK10 setup w/o floppy or bootable CDROM on Libretto 110 - Portable

This is a discussion on MDK10 setup w/o floppy or bootable CDROM on Libretto 110 - Portable ; I'm trying to set up MDK10 on a Toshiba Libretto 110. As it has no usable FDD (it's a proprietary PCMCIA thing) nor PCMCIA boot capability, I use a PCMCIA CD-ROM player and have to start installation like: "loadlin vmlinuz ...

  1. MDK10 setup w/o floppy or bootable CDROM on Libretto 110

    I'm trying to set up MDK10 on a Toshiba Libretto 110. As it has no
    usable FDD (it's a proprietary PCMCIA thing) nor PCMCIA boot capability,
    I use a PCMCIA CD-ROM player and have to start installation like:
    "loadlin vmlinuz initrd=all.rdz ramdisk_size=128000 root=/dev/ram3 text
    pcmcia acpi=off automatic=method:cdrom"
    (w/o quotes, all on one line) from a FAT drive, booted into "raw" DOS,
    with vmlinuz + all.rdz ripped from /isolinux/alt0 on CD # 1 and
    loadlin.exe from MDK7.2.

    This has worked perfectly well with all MDK 9.x versions, however MDK10
    apparently cannot connect to the HD (= on an ISA bus via a Toshiba
    PCI-to-ISA bridge):
    While booting up during install, a message flashes by about
    "...scsi/raid/imm..." and after a while it says: "no valid devices found
    to create new filesystems" or something like that. So MDK10 can't find
    ide devices, only ppa and imm which actually aren't present.

    Would this newer kernel really be unable to use the HD, or is this
    actually due to the Libretto having just too little memory (64 MB) for
    installation?
    I do suspect the latter as MDK9.2 installation was just barely possible
    (runs fine though, once installed). I couldn't find "official" system
    instalation requirements for MDK10.

    Any thoughts, or hints for other installation options on this Libretto 110?

    Philip

  2. Re: MDK10 setup w/o floppy or bootable CDROM on Libretto 110

    Philip Nienhuis wrote:

    > Any thoughts, or hints for other installation options on this Libretto
    > 110?

    I did the installation of MDK10 on my Libretto L5 by using
    PXE boot installation. It works.

    Probably it may not be useful to Libretto 110. I do not know
    its NIC anyway... :-)

    Dominic

    --
    Dominic Lai, Assistant Computer Officer, CS System Group
    Computer Science Department, The Hong Kong University of Science &

  3. Re: MDK10 setup w/o floppy or bootable CDROM on Libretto 110

    Dominic Lai wrote:
    > Philip Nienhuis wrote:
    >
    >>Any thoughts, or hints for other installation options on this Libretto
    >>110?

    > I did the installation of MDK10 on my Libretto L5 by using
    > PXE boot installation. It works.
    >
    > Probably it may not be useful to Libretto 110. I do not know
    > its NIC anyway... :-)

    Thanks.
    The Libretto 110 has no built-in NIC, and booting from PCMCIA (let
    alone, PC-Card NICs) is not possible :-(
    I'll probably have to put the Lib's HD in my desktop and install it
    there (I perceive this as a little defeat. Until now there was always a
    way to do it without tampering with the Libbie's hardware.) And then
    cross my fingers when putting it back in the Lib, hopefully it will work
    at all....

    Philip

  4. Re: MDK10 setup w/o floppy or bootable CDROM on Libretto 110

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:43:52 +0200, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

    > Any thoughts, or hints for other installation options on this Libretto 110?

    You may try the installation reports linked to at
    http://tuxmobil.org/toshiba.html
    also there are almost all possible installation methods for laptops
    described in the Linux-Mobile-Guide
    http://tuxmobil.org/howtos.html

    Werner

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

+ Reply to Thread