I got a DVD drive for my 366MHz Thinkpad 600e and can just barely play
DVDs on it. My main problems are with sound: (1) too soft (2) gets out
of sync.

Despite mplayer saying "Your system is too SLOW to play this!" I get
decent video even at regular 1024x768 resolution. Switching to 640x480
does not make the message go away.

Sound in all my apps is too slow. I don't have ALSA, but used
instructions on an old web page to make a script that mainly does

modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0

This mostly works, but the sound is too soft. Beeps sound
disproportionately loud, and even at high volume I don't think it would
be heard on an airline flight. Mainly this is to kill part of 11 hrs of
airplane with kids.

If I could get ALSA working, would it be louder? Would mplayer sync
better?