I have been searching for a good new Linux compatible laptop. Since I find
the idea of having to pay the M$ tax distasteful and illogical (happens for
Dell, IBM, HP, etc.), I have been looking at ChemBook, TwinHead etc. (found
links on Sager). Oddly enough, many laptops of similar configurations are
more expensive when they come without any OS from these vendors than when
they are purchased from big vendors like IBM, Dell, etc. (with the M$ tax).

Is this merely an issue of the volume of demand and markdowns that major
vendors can offer ? Or am I just looking at the wrong kind of vendors to
buy an OS-less linux compatible laptop from ?