Need *urgent* advice - Portable

This is a discussion on Need *urgent* advice - Portable ; Hi I have an IBM i1300 series laptop (model 1174 4MU). I have used it for the past 3 years (nearly), and have been fairly satisfied with it. Barring the softmodem (Lucent AMR) which never worked and the fact that ...

  1. Need *urgent* advice

    Hi

    I have an IBM i1300 series laptop (model 1174 4MU). I have used it for the
    past 3 years (nearly), and have been fairly satisfied with it. Barring the
    softmodem (Lucent AMR) which never worked and the fact that it could not
    shift video to projector with a simple Fn+F7 unless it was powered up that
    way, or the fact that 4 Thinkpad buttons never worked, it has given few
    problems except the very poor battery life - 2 hrs at the maximum (more
    like 1 hr for the past many months).

    In the morning today, about half an hour ago, I heard some crackling sounds
    (the kind that come just before a wire is about to short out) from the back
    of the laptop. Over the past 1 month or so, the laptop has been over
    heating a bit, tripping acpid at times. I guess it was getting towards the
    end of its life.

    I am now in the market for a new laptop. Preferably IBM as I kind of liked
    the stuff and when I bought it, it was the commercial vendor that was the
    most compatible with Linux (please let me know if any of that has changed).
    This time when I buy something (preferably new, as second hand laptops are
    not a problem I want to get into right now) I want *everything* on it to
    work with Linux. I mean everything - the modem, the Thinkpad buttons, etc.
    And I need a long battery life - preferably 6 hrs or so.

    The hard disk on this laptop was 10 GB. Though I was able to work with it,
    I would kind of expect that laptops carry a little more disk space these
    days. I am not interested in playing DVDs or burn CDs on it (or any of the
    game playing stuff). The laptop is needed for serious work. The CPU on my
    old laptop is a celeron 700 MHz. I am willing to go for a lower end CPU of
    whatever is available today as my number crunching is done on other
    machines. Hopefully that should save some money.

    Though it is perhaps too much to expect, I do not want to have to pay the
    M$ tax, money is not exactly plentiful right now.

    Thanks,

    MS

  2. Re: Need *urgent* advice

    On 2004-04-08, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > I am now in the market for a new laptop. Preferably IBM as I kind of liked
    > the stuff and when I bought it, it was the commercial vendor that was the
    > most compatible with Linux (please let me know if any of that has changed).
    > This time when I buy something (preferably new, as second hand laptops are
    > not a problem I want to get into right now) I want *everything* on it to
    > work with Linux. I mean everything - the modem, the Thinkpad buttons, etc.
    > And I need a long battery life - preferably 6 hrs or so.

    There is lots of info on various mfg and models here:

    http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    http://tuxmobil.org/

    Or, alternatively, order a new laptop with Linux pre-installed if you ask
    nicely, they may install Slack for you

    http://www.emperorlinux.com/

    Kind Regards,
    Michael