Best laptop for linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on Best laptop for linux? - Portable ; Hi! I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. ...

  1. Best laptop for linux?

    Hi!

    I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for
    quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give
    up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. Does
    anyone have any suggestions, care to share your experiences? Any help
    offered would be VERY much appreciated.

  2. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    "mcm0818" wrote in message
    news:d99c91f5.0404062126.3ae84342@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for
    > quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give
    > up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions, care to share your experiences? Any help
    > offered would be VERY much appreciated.

    I use a dual boot Compaq Presario 1245 with the disk upgraded to 30GB from
    3GB and 160MB memory.

    It works well for the various flavours of Mandrake, Redhat and Slackware.

    The Modem is a Lucent chipset. The driver tarballs (which I use) can be
    obtained from http://ltmodem.heby.de .

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Regards
    Martin Hughes

  3. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    > I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for
    > quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give
    > up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions, care to share your experiences? Any help
    > offered would be VERY much appreciated.

    Installation of Debian GNU/Linux worked very smoothly on a Thinpad X30.

    Stefan

  4. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    mcm0818 (mcm0818@comcast.net) wrote:
    : Hi!

    : I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for
    : quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give
    : up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. Does
    : anyone have any suggestions, care to share your experiences? Any help
    : offered would be VERY much appreciated.

    Are you running the Tecra 8000 standalone or with the docking station?
    I have no problem running it standalone up to kernel 2.4.22. I have
    not tried any later kernel on it. If you are running it with docking
    station, you can only use kernel 2.4.19 or older. All of the onboard
    PCI of the docking station stopped working after 2.4.19. I have not
    seen any fix since.

    As far as newer laptop, if you buy it with Linux pre-installed,
    everything should work and you don't have to pay for an OS that you
    may not use. http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ gives a long list of
    name brand. Just pick the brand you like and go from there. I have
    very good result with IBM.

  5. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    mcm0818 wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for
    > quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give
    > up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions, care to share your experiences? Any help
    > offered would be VERY much appreciated.

    IBM ThinkPads tend to be good. I've got an R31 here and it works well with
    SuSE 9.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  6. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    On 7 Apr 2004 20:33:55 GMT, Alex Yung wrote:

    > As far as newer laptop, if you buy it with Linux pre-installed,
    > everything should work and you don't have to pay for an OS that you
    > may not use. http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ gives a long list of
    > name brand. Just pick the brand you like and go from there.

    In addition there's also this site

    http://www.tuxmobil.org

    Cheers,
    Ingo

    --
    Ingo Strauch ---- Registered Linux User #227900 (http://counter.li.org/)
    http://www.the-one-brack.org/

  7. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    mcm0818@comcast.net (mcm0818) writes:

    > I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 for
    > quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but I give
    > up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible laptop. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions, care to share your experiences? Any help
    > offered would be VERY much appreciated.

    Depends on how much money you've got. If you're broke, you
    can't go wrong with an IBM thinkpad. Mine (A 600E; about $225 on Ebay)
    is a tank; has survived three years of hard use in a battered backpack,
    still has good battery life, and even tolerated my disassembling the LCD
    screen to install a new backlight. Everything works: suspend, CD,
    audio, video, wireless, USB for a Wacom pad, PCMCIA for flash memory
    cards, streaming media. I even watch anime on it.

    Elf

  8. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    http://www.keynux.com/default_zone/e...d_Notebook.php
    http://www.mandrakeclub.com/article.php?sid=1673
    http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html
    http://www.xandros.com/partners/oempcs.html

    --
    siger

  9. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    Thanks so much I guys, I really appreciate it!

  10. Re: Best laptop for linux?

    >> I've been trying to get linux to run on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000
    >> for quite some time now (new kernel wouldn't even compile)... but
    >> I give up, and am looking to buy a much more linux compatible
    >> laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions, care to share your
    >> experiences? Any help offered would be VERY much appreciated.

    I have an Asus L3000 series laptop that I bought from PowerNotebooks:

    http://www.powernotebooks.com/

    They have a Linux support forum and excellent service. Their prices may
    not be the rock bottom, but they are low and I have not regretted making
    a puchase there.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread