USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad) - Portable

This is a discussion on USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad) - Portable ; Hi, I am looking for some cool external storage device for my Thinkpad R40. In any case, I need support for Linux. Two questions: 1)One option is USB 2.0 storage. The cheapest I am getting is around $40 for 128 ...

  1. USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad)

    Hi,

    I am looking for some cool external storage device for my Thinkpad
    R40. In any case, I need support for Linux. Two questions:

    1)One option is USB 2.0 storage. The cheapest I am getting is around
    $40 for 128 MB pen drives (Apacer, Linkyo, Lexar). Does anyone know of
    better deals? These products promise support for kernels 2.4.0 and
    above, which is crucial for me.

    2)Coming to large storage, in the order of GBs, are there reasons to
    prefer one out of USB or PCMCIA storage devices? Any clues on good
    deals are also welcome.

    thanks.

  2. Re: USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:35:44 -0700, Shariq Rizvi wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for some cool external storage device for my Thinkpad R40.
    > In any case, I need support for Linux. Two questions:
    >
    > 1)One option is USB 2.0 storage. The cheapest I am getting is around $40
    > for 128 MB pen drives (Apacer, Linkyo, Lexar). Does anyone know of
    > better deals? These products promise support for kernels 2.4.0 and
    > above, which is crucial for me.

    I have one of the Lexar's 'Jumpdrive' units, works great.

    > 2)Coming to large storage, in the order of GBs, are there reasons to
    > prefer one out of USB or PCMCIA storage devices? Any clues on good deals
    > are also welcome.

    Why don't you purchase an additional 2.5 inch hard drive (laptop hard
    drive) and install it in something like;

    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...-250U2&cat=CAS

    If you don't have two USB ports (one USB connection is pass-thru with this
    unit) then you will need an external 'wall-wart' to supply power.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  3. Re: USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad)

    Do you want it portable or non-portable? This is probably the most
    important question.

    Portable:
    1) additional hdd in ultrabay (imho best portable storage).
    2) pcmcia flash (very safe but slow & relatively small)
    3) external usb stick (ditto, and sticks out *g*)
    4) pcmcia hdd (imho pointless)
    4) external 2.5" hdd (already pretty big & heavy).

    Non-Portable:
    1) 3.5" USB enclosure + hdd of your choice (best standalone)
    2) NFS/SMB/whatever file server + gigabit ethernet
    (best performance, but $$/loud).

    All work under Linux.

    Best,
    Volker

  4. Re: USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad)

    In article ,
    Volker Braun wrote:
    >2) pcmcia flash (very safe but slow & relatively small)
    >All work under Linux.

    Hmm. How do you do this... I haven't been able to get my PCMCIA
    flash cards to work since switching from David Hinds' standalone
    PCMCIA drivers to the kernel based drivers (which are mandatory in
    2.6). Care to share your secret?

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

  5. Re: USB Storage for Laptops (or PCMCIA storage for Thinkpad)

    I'm regularly using a compact flash card + pcmcia adapter without
    problems (T41). And I do use kernel 2.6.5 at the moment. The only issue is
    that sometimes (but not always, usually after suspend) the pcmcia
    subsystem fails to recognize the card insert. Manual "cardctl insert"
    helps in that case.

    I have no (non-compact) pcmcia flash card.

    -Volker

+ Reply to Thread