XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora1) - Portable

This is a discussion on XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora1) - Portable ; X (XFree86 4.3.0-55) crashes under load on my Thinkpad T41 (2378DHU) which has a Radeon mobility 7500 display (1024x768). But only after a suspend and resume. I am using a fully updated Fedora Core 1 stock kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, with APM. ...

  1. XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora1)

    X (XFree86 4.3.0-55) crashes under load on my Thinkpad T41 (2378DHU)
    which has a Radeon mobility 7500 display (1024x768). But only after a
    suspend and resume. I am using a fully updated Fedora Core 1 stock
    kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, with APM. (Crash was present too on the
    earlier kernel and XFree86 versions from Fedora). Suspension and resume
    appear to work fine, but leave this instability.

    The problem is subtle. Initially I just experienced a very occasional
    crash, which brought down the whole machine (as well as keyboard and
    mouse). Annoying. But I recently found certain graphics-intensive
    applications that would routinely crash the machine within a few
    minutes (but seemingly not always at exactly the same time). A crash
    has never occurred unless the computer has been suspended and
    resumed. After a suspend resume (or hibernate resume) it happens
    within minutes for these (totally different) applications.

    I have done extensive testing to prove that this is the core XFree86
    code. It still occurs if all modules except type1 and truetype fonts
    are turned off in the XF86Config, proving that it is not the
    acceleration, DRI, and glx extensions. I have removed all sorts of
    additional kernel modules from my system to eliminate their effect.

    I have demonstrated that it does not happen if one restarts the X server
    (by ctrl-alt-backspace) after a suspend resume.

    Moreover, I have demonstrated that it only happens in depth 24
    display, I have never seen it in depth 16. (But why would I want
    always to run 16 depth on this display?)

    I have tested my memory with the memtest86 program, in case the
    problem was hardware. That test reveals no errors with my 256M
    IBM-supplied memory.

    QUESTION: has anyone got information on this bug, especially how it
    can be fixed? I have spent a lot of time on it, and I expect it is not
    unique to me, but I can't find any reports of this particular problem
    on the net.

    Insights and experience would be greatly appreciated.

    Ian Hutchinson.

    PS. I am posting my log and config files, for the cognoscenti at
    http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/XFree86.0.log ,
    http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/XF86Config

  2. Re: XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora 1)

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:54:47 +0000, Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    > It still occurs if all modules except type1 and truetype fonts
    > are turned off in the XF86Config, proving that it is not the
    > acceleration, DRI, and glx extensions.

    Did you try

    Option "NoAccel" "true"

    in the XF86Config Device section? This truely turns of acceleration.

    Best,
    Volker (Using ACPI, so cannot realy compare)

  3. Re: XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora1)

    Volker Braun wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:54:47 +0000, Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    >
    >>It still occurs if all modules except type1 and truetype fonts
    >>are turned off in the XF86Config, proving that it is not the
    >>acceleration, DRI, and glx extensions.

    > Did you try
    >
    > Option "NoAccel" "true"
    >
    > in the XF86Config Device section? This truely turns of acceleration.
    >
    > Best,
    > Volker (Using ACPI, so cannot realy compare)

    Good point, so I tried that. And the answer is that I can't crash it
    with Option "NoAccel" "true". Therefore my previous statement covered
    only acceleration modules like the DRI/GLX stuff, not the internal
    acceleration. Of course, the driver pretty much stinks without
    acceleration.

    Ian Hutchinson

  4. Re: XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora 1)

    You should probably upgrade to XFree86-4.4. If the problem persists and
    you have some time to debug this then I'd suggest the following:

    Try to isolate the error by manually diabling the individual acceleration
    functions (see XF86Config manpage, the XaaNo* options). After you got it,
    file a bug report :-)

    Disabling only one of the Xaa options usually has no big performance
    impact.

    Best,
    Volker

  5. Re: XFree86 crash on Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T41) after suspend (Fedora1)

    Volker Braun wrote:
    > You should probably upgrade to XFree86-4.4. If the problem persists and
    > you have some time to debug this then I'd suggest the following:
    >
    > Try to isolate the error by manually diabling the individual acceleration
    > functions (see XF86Config manpage, the XaaNo* options). After you got it,
    > file a bug report :-)
    >
    > Disabling only one of the Xaa options usually has no big performance
    > impact.

    Thanks for your interest, but given that Fedora does not even support
    XF86 version 4.4, I just can't see going that route. I've already spent
    more time on this than I can afford. So I've just bought Xig's Summit X
    server which is 3 times faster than XFree86 and does not crash.

    If this bug is resolved, or someone has serious suggestions for how it
    can be avoided, I'll be happy to hear about it, but I can't do more than
    I already have.

    Ian Hutchinson.

+ Reply to Thread