Linux scripts for automatic wireless networking - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux scripts for automatic wireless networking - Portable ; As many of you will know, from frustrating experience, the standard wireless network scripts for linux are very clumsy for networking from different places where different access points and encryption keys are used. Therefore I am making available the scripts ...

  1. Linux scripts for automatic wireless networking

    As many of you will know, from frustrating experience, the standard
    wireless network scripts for linux are very clumsy for networking from
    different places where different access points and encryption keys are used.

    Therefore I am making available the scripts that I have written to make
    the whole process automatic and easy to manage. Please take a look at

    http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html#tth_sEc6.2

    to understand what the issues are in detail.

    Download the scripts from the end of that section. Let me know if you
    discover any problems with them. My hope is that once their utility is
    demonstrated, something similar will become standard in the distributions.

    Ian Hutchinson.

  2. Re: Linux scripts for automatic wireless networking

    Ian Hutchinson wrote in message news:<406F1963.1000605@hutchinson.belmont.ma.us>...
    > As many of you will know, from frustrating experience, the standard
    > wireless network scripts for linux are very clumsy for networking from
    > different places where different access points and encryption keys are used.
    >
    > Therefore I am making available the scripts that I have written to make
    > the whole process automatic and easy to manage. Please take a look at
    >
    > http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html#tth_sEc6.2
    >
    > to understand what the issues are in detail.
    >
    > Download the scripts from the end of that section. Let me know if you
    > discover any problems with them. My hope is that once their utility is
    > demonstrated, something similar will become standard in the distributions.
    >
    > Ian Hutchinson.

    Have you looked at cardctl schemes?

    Changing wireless settings is as easy as:

    # cardctl scheme home
    or
    # cardctl scheme work

    etc.,

    Mark

  3. Re: Linux scripts for automatic wireless networking

    Mark Prusinowski wrote:

    > Have you looked at cardctl schemes?
    >
    > Changing wireless settings is as easy as:
    >
    > # cardctl scheme home
    > or
    > # cardctl scheme work

    I am afraid that you miss the point that on a T41 there is no wireless
    "card". The wireless is built in, not a card.

    But in any case even if cardctl were appropriate, my approach is
    superior, because it is automatic.

    Ian Hutchinson

  4. Re: Linux scripts for automatic wireless networking

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:06:24 +0000, Ian Hutchinson wrote:

    This isn't about wireless, but about the comment in your excellent page
    regarding qtparted and parted and not being able to do anything with the
    NTFS partition.

    You can probably solve that problem by getting System Rescue CD
    a bootable Gentoo-based rescue disk with
    just about every recovery tool and utility you could need.

    One of its stars is qtparted with integrated ntfsresize. I used it to
    Resize the NTFS partition of a 600X with a 20 GB disk down to 4 GB so I
    could install Debian in the rest of it. It went perfectly, and quite
    quickly. It was as smooth as using Partition Magic, and seemed faster to
    me.

    Cheers,

    Jonathan
    --