built-in wi-fi problem with fedora core 1/2 - Portable

This is a discussion on built-in wi-fi problem with fedora core 1/2 - Portable ; i've got a thinkpad t23 with a built-in wi-fi device (prism2). i've got an old mandrake 8.2 install running on it with the absolutevalue systems wlan driver. it works. i've got a 2nd disk for the thinkpad with a fresh ...

  1. built-in wi-fi problem with fedora core 1/2

    i've got a thinkpad t23 with a built-in wi-fi device (prism2).
    i've got an old mandrake 8.2 install running on it with the
    absolutevalue systems wlan driver. it works.

    i've got a 2nd disk for the thinkpad with a fresh fedora core 2
    test 1 install on it (also tried core 1). both the core 1 and
    the core 2 test 1 installs were flawless and fast. both
    detected the built-in wi-fi device (PCI, not PCMCIA) and
    let me configure them (IP address, WEP key) via a nice,
    simple GUI panel.

    but even though it detected and let me configure the prism2
    wi-fi device, it does not work. you can ping the wi-fi interface
    itself from the laptop but you can't ping anything
    on the associated subnet (and beyond). the direct-to-subnet
    route and the default route are there so it is not a
    routing issue.

    anyone else see this problem? i tried to report it
    via redhat's bugzilla interface which is simply too
    clever for its own good. it captured a bunch of info
    and asked me to push a button it said would pop up
    a new window (in mozilla) with a filled-in bug
    report page. but that didn't work. is there a
    better way to report it?

    /mark

  2. Re: built-in wi-fi problem with fedora core 1/2

    Mark T. Kennedy wrote:

    > i've got a thinkpad t23 with a built-in wi-fi device (prism2).
    > i've got an old mandrake 8.2 install running on it with the
    > absolutevalue systems wlan driver. it works.
    >
    > i've got a 2nd disk for the thinkpad with a fresh fedora core 2
    > test 1 install on it (also tried core 1). both the core 1 and
    > the core 2 test 1 installs were flawless and fast. both
    > detected the built-in wi-fi device (PCI, not PCMCIA) and
    > let me configure them (IP address, WEP key) via a nice,
    > simple GUI panel.
    >
    > but even though it detected and let me configure the prism2
    > wi-fi device, it does not work. you can ping the wi-fi interface
    > itself from the laptop but you can't ping anything
    > on the associated subnet (and beyond). the direct-to-subnet
    > route and the default route are there so it is not a
    > routing issue.
    >
    > anyone else see this problem?

    Any clues from lsmod, ifconfig, route, dmesg?
    -jeff

  3. Re: built-in wi-fi problem with fedora core 1/2

    In article ,
    Mark T. Kennedy wrote:
    >i've got a thinkpad t23 with a built-in wi-fi device (prism2).
    >i've got an old mandrake 8.2 install running on it with the
    >absolutevalue systems wlan driver. it works.
    >
    >i've got a 2nd disk for the thinkpad with a fresh fedora core 2
    >test 1 install on it (also tried core 1). both the core 1 and
    >the core 2 test 1 installs were flawless and fast. both
    >detected the built-in wi-fi device (PCI, not PCMCIA) and
    >let me configure them (IP address, WEP key) via a nice,
    >simple GUI panel.
    >
    >but even though it detected and let me configure the prism2
    >wi-fi device, it does not work. you can ping the wi-fi interface
    >itself from the laptop but you can't ping anything
    >on the associated subnet (and beyond). the direct-to-subnet
    >route and the default route are there so it is not a
    >routing issue.
    >
    >anyone else see this problem? i tried to report it
    >via redhat's bugzilla interface which is simply too
    >clever for its own good. it captured a bunch of info
    >and asked me to push a button it said would pop up
    >a new window (in mozilla) with a filled-in bug
    >report page. but that didn't work. is there a
    >better way to report it?
    >
    >/mark

    Mark,

    I've got the same system, and found that even when they worked, the 2.4
    Linux Prism2 drivers were unreliable (problem with the firmware locking
    up when using WEP). The Linux WLAN-ng project has better drivers,
    which I used until their fixes made their way into the 2.6 kernel,
    which I'm now using. Take a browse over to the Linux on Laptops
    website for how others have gotten everything working on the X23...

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html

    Vince

+ Reply to Thread