Dell Inspiron 8600 - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 8600 - Portable ; I'm getting ready to purchase the Inspiron 8600 with the widescreen UXGA display (1920 x 1200) and the 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 chipset. Does anyone have this system? And, if so, any "gotchas" in regards to getting X up and ...

  1. Dell Inspiron 8600

    I'm getting ready to purchase the Inspiron 8600 with the widescreen UXGA
    display (1920 x 1200) and the 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 chipset.

    Does anyone have this system? And, if so, any "gotchas" in regards to
    getting X up and working properly?

    --
    leosity [at] gapout [dot] com

  2. Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:59:50 +0000, leosit wrote:
    > I'm getting ready to purchase the Inspiron 8600 with the widescreen UXGA
    > display (1920 x 1200) and the 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 chipset.
    >
    > Does anyone have this system? And, if so, any "gotchas" in regards to
    > getting X up and working properly?

    I have one and just updated the XF86Config so the video runs with the full
    1920x1200 resolution. Looks fabulous (except all my backgrounds are
    1024x768 so I need to go redo all my favorite images for the better
    display). You'll need the NVidea driver as well. The Gurus at my employer
    did the basic install (of Red Hat 9). I'll ask them for the details and
    then post what I get to this thread (in comp.os.linux.portable). Look for
    it in a day or so.

    Note: I haven't used the wireless stuff yet but the wired Ethernet on the
    back works fine when plugged in.

  3. Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

    > > I'm getting ready to purchase the Inspiron 8600 with the widescreen UXGA
    > > display (1920 x 1200) and the 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 chipset.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have this system? And, if so, any "gotchas" in regards to
    > > getting X up and working properly?

    >>On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Ed Skinner wrote:

    > I have one and just updated the XF86Config so the video runs with the full
    > 1920x1200 resolution. Looks fabulous (except all my backgrounds are
    > 1024x768 so I need to go redo all my favorite images for the better
    > display). You'll need the NVidea driver as well. The Gurus at my employer
    > did the basic install (of Red Hat 9). I'll ask them for the details and
    > then post what I get to this thread (in comp.os.linux.portable). Look for
    > it in a day or so.

    I am planning on purchasing this laptop with the ATI chipset (Radeon 9600
    - 128MB), so I would not need the Nvidia drivers I would guess.

    Anyone out there with this setup with the Radeon 9600 video card?

    --
    leosity [at] gapout [dot] com

  4. Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

    leosity@nospam.com wrote:

    >>>I'm getting ready to purchase the Inspiron 8600 with the widescreen UXGA
    >>>display (1920 x 1200) and the 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 chipset.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have this system? And, if so, any "gotchas" in regards to
    >>>getting X up and working properly?

    >>>On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Ed Skinner wrote:

    >>I have one and just updated the XF86Config so the video runs with the full
    >>1920x1200 resolution. Looks fabulous (except all my backgrounds are
    >>1024x768 so I need to go redo all my favorite images for the better
    >>display). You'll need the NVidea driver as well. The Gurus at my employer
    >>did the basic install (of Red Hat 9). I'll ask them for the details and
    >>then post what I get to this thread (in comp.os.linux.portable). Look for
    >>it in a day or so.

    > I am planning on purchasing this laptop with the ATI chipset (Radeon 9600
    > - 128MB), so I would not need the Nvidia drivers I would guess.
    >
    > Anyone out there with this setup with the Radeon 9600 video card?

    be careful with this video card. I believe it doesn't work in the full
    1920x1200 resolution mode if you choose the ATI grap[hics card. Nvidia
    should be better, but I have an 8200 model, you better get the official
    word from an 8600 owner.

    - peter

  5. Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

    >>On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Peter Teuben wrote:
    > be careful with this video card. I believe it doesn't work in the full
    > 1920x1200 resolution mode if you choose the ATI grap[hics card. Nvidia
    > should be better, but I have an 8200 model, you better get the official
    > word from an 8600 owner.

    Seriously?? I ordered this bad boy last night!! I'm thinking a call to
    Dell is in order!!

    --
    leosity [at] gapout [dot] com

+ Reply to Thread