REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks - Portable

This is a discussion on REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks - Portable ; Could anyone post a simple and complete guide to make finally run ACPI on Hewlett-Packard (HP) notebooks? By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required. My notebook: HP ze4500, BIOS KA-1.49, AMD Athlon 2500+, ATI Radeon IGP 320M.. (all works ...

  1. REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    Could anyone post a simple and complete guide to make finally run ACPI
    on Hewlett-Packard (HP) notebooks?

    By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required.

    My notebook: HP ze4500, BIOS KA-1.49, AMD Athlon 2500+, ATI Radeon IGP
    320M.. (all works with mandrake 10rc1, all except the ACPI! the fan
    never stops working! and must power down manually)

    Is it possible?
    anyone knows how?
    I've heard a lot: Updating the BIOS? Enabling ACPI before
    installation, or in bootloader.. ? What else? But for some-one works,
    other-ones not.

    Every experience is well accepted!

    Bye

  2. Re: REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    ionic2003@despammed.com (mandrake) wrote :

    > By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required.

    so you mean "point here and click there" ?

    Pozdrawiam.
    --
    RusH //
    http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

  3. Re: REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    >> By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required.
    >>

    > poofta huh?
    >

    > Alex

    Was that really necessary?

    --

    Scott Bolander
    scott@nospam-bolanderhome.com

  4. Re: REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    mandrake pon 1. marca 2004 14:04 wrote:

    > Could anyone post a simple and complete guide to make finally run ACPI
    > on Hewlett-Packard (HP) notebooks?
    >
    > By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required.
    >
    > My notebook: HP ze4500, BIOS KA-1.49, AMD Athlon 2500+, ATI Radeon IGP
    > 320M.. (all works with mandrake 10rc1, all except the ACPI! the fan
    > never stops working! and must power down manually)
    >
    > Is it possible?
    > anyone knows how?
    > I've heard a lot: Updating the BIOS? Enabling ACPI before
    > installation, or in bootloader.. ? What else? But for some-one works,
    > other-ones not.
    >
    > Every experience is well accepted!

    I used to have HP Omnibook XE2, some older model. Nobody wanted it in a
    company cause HP doesn't provide XP drivers for it, they say one needs
    newer model to run XP.
    I used to run MDK 9.1 on it.

    Been tinkering with ACPI for a looooong time, to no avail. Finally
    discovered klaptop, small applet in KDE Panel. It gave me a hint to use APM
    instead. Disabled ACPI at boot, through MCC->Boot, then configured klaptop.
    Clickety click all the way. Suspend to disc, suspend to RAM, all worked. I
    even remember seeing some options concerning fan, performance vs. silence,
    of course I've chosen silence; where else I could see it if not in klaptop?

    Hope it gives you a clue.

    --
    Yours Virtually, Zbigniew A.

    Linux is based entirely on the ancient principle of WYGIWYGAINGW*
    ________________
    *) 'What You Get Is What You're Given And It's No Good Whining' (after
    Terry Pratchett)

  5. Re: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    "mandrake" wrote in message
    news:7c14fd38.0403010504.25fb01fe@posting.google.c om...
    > Could anyone post a simple and complete guide to make finally run ACPI
    > on Hewlett-Packard (HP) notebooks?
    >
    > By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required.
    >
    > My notebook: HP ze4500, BIOS KA-1.49, AMD Athlon 2500+, ATI Radeon IGP
    > 320M.. (all works with mandrake 10rc1, all except the ACPI! the fan
    > never stops working! and must power down manually)
    >
    > Is it possible?
    > anyone knows how?
    > I've heard a lot: Updating the BIOS? Enabling ACPI before
    > installation, or in bootloader.. ? What else? But for some-one works,
    > other-ones not.
    >
    > Every experience is well accepted!
    >
    > Bye

    I couldn't get it working without a kernel compile. I have a hp Pavillion
    xt155. No APM support and I could only get ACPI working via a kernel patch
    and compile.

    FYI, to try out some of the distros to see if they work, checkout some of
    the live distrobutions. Mandrake Move, Knoppix, PC Linux OS, etc These
    distros run off of the CD and let you see exactly what does and doesn't
    work. The latest Knoppix (3.3) actually supported my wireless card, dvd
    player, etc out of the box.

    btw, I've read that the Radeon IGP 3X0M chips should be fully supported
    w/XFree 4.4

    btw, for all the sarcastic comments that have been posted here, check out
    ESR http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

  6. Re: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    > btw, for all the sarcastic comments that have been posted here, check out
    > ESR http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

    They are. I'm running XFree86 4.4 and I get full 3d acceleration with my
    IGP 320M. ACPI, however, does not fully work. I've got a ze4430us. Even
    with all the latest updates, processor stepping doesn't work, and
    neither does frequency/voltage scaling. I get an error about "14 PST
    tables...No PST tables match this cpuid" and that apparently my bios is
    b0rked.

    Is there anything more we can do that sit and wait? This seems so
    inefficient...

  7. Re: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    errr I quoted the wrong text. it was supposed to be:

    > btw, I've read that the Radeon IGP 3X0M chips should be fully
    > supported w/XFree 4.4

    sorry for the confusion

  8. Re: REQ: Final Guide to ACPI with HP Notebooks

    ionic2003@despammed.com (mandrake) wrote in message news:<7c14fd38.0403010504.25fb01fe@posting.google.com>...
    > Could anyone post a simple and complete guide to make finally run ACPI
    > on Hewlett-Packard (HP) notebooks?
    >
    > By "simple" I mean: NO kernel compile required.
    >
    > My notebook: HP ze4500, BIOS KA-1.49, AMD Athlon 2500+, ATI Radeon IGP
    > 320M.. (all works with mandrake 10rc1, all except the ACPI! the fan
    > never stops working! and must power down manually)
    >
    > Is it possible?
    > anyone knows how?
    > I've heard a lot: Updating the BIOS? Enabling ACPI before
    > installation, or in bootloader.. ? What else? But for some-one works,
    > other-ones not.
    >
    > Every experience is well accepted!

    http://students.cs.byu.edu/~resplin/...p_answers.html

    hth,