Newbie,linux on 2755 Toshiba - Portable

This is a discussion on Newbie,linux on 2755 Toshiba - Portable ; I have a Toshiba Satellite 2755DVD/6.0, model no P5275U-4K9J10 with 6 gig hard drive, 192 mb ram (maximum allowed in this machine). It has a built-in floppy drive and DVD drive and a USB 1.0 port. I have added a ...

  1. Newbie,linux on 2755 Toshiba

    I have a Toshiba Satellite 2755DVD/6.0, model no P5275U-4K9J10 with 6 gig
    hard drive, 192 mb ram (maximum allowed in this machine). It has a built-in
    floppy drive and DVD drive and a USB 1.0 port. I have added a Netgear
    pcmcia nic to connect to my lan and a Buslink 4 port USB 2.0 pcmcia
    cardbus, that I use with an external CD burner. I am currently running
    Win98SE on the machine, but would like to migrate to Linux, or at least
    experiment with it, with perhaps a future goal of moving all my computers
    to Linux.
    I still need to use some Windows programs on the laptop for which there are
    currently no Linux alternatives, and my hard drive is pretty full.

    Question: Is it possible to connect a USB external hard drive to this
    laptop thru the Buslink USB card and install a bootable version of Linux on
    this drive? This would be nice and convenient, in that I could pretty much
    leave the internal hard drive alone and boot from the external drive
    whenever I wanted.

    Whether or not this is possible, does anyone have a recommendation for a
    particular distribution?

  2. Re: Newbie,linux on 2755 Toshiba

    "BullDurham" skrev i meddelandet
    news:Xns949E94BB822EDdurhamyahoocom@209.25.157.130 ...
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2755DVD/6.0, model no P5275U-4K9J10 with 6 gig
    > hard drive, 192 mb ram (maximum allowed in this machine). It has a

    built-in
    > floppy drive and DVD drive and a USB 1.0 port. I have added a Netgear
    > pcmcia nic to connect to my lan and a Buslink 4 port USB 2.0 pcmcia
    > cardbus, that I use with an external CD burner. I am currently running
    > Win98SE on the machine, but would like to migrate to Linux, or at least
    > experiment with it, with perhaps a future goal of moving all my computers
    > to Linux.
    > I still need to use some Windows programs on the laptop for which there

    are
    > currently no Linux alternatives, and my hard drive is pretty full.
    >
    > Question: Is it possible to connect a USB external hard drive to this
    > laptop thru the Buslink USB card and install a bootable version of Linux

    on
    > this drive? This would be nice and convenient, in that I could pretty

    much
    > leave the internal hard drive alone and boot from the external drive
    > whenever I wanted.
    >
    > Whether or not this is possible, does anyone have a recommendation for a
    > particular distribution?

    If the BIOS support booting from USB then it will boot from USB.
    Take a look at this page about Red Hat install on your model:
    http://www.michaelminn.com/index.htm...shiba2755.html

  3. Re: Newbie,linux on 2755 Toshiba

    >>>BullDurham 29 Feb 2004 14:37:21 -0600>>>

    > I am currently running
    > Win98SE on the machine, but would like to migrate to Linux, or at
    > least experiment with it, with perhaps a future goal of moving all my
    > computers to Linux.
    > I still need to use some Windows programs on the laptop for which
    > there are currently no Linux alternatives, and my hard drive is pretty
    > full.

    http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/

    ZipSlack

    ZipSlack is a special edition of Slackware Linux that can be installed
    onto any FAT (or FAT32) filesystem with about 100 MB of free space. It
    uses the UMSDOS filesystem and contains most of the programs you will
    need. This means that you do not need to repartition your hard disk if
    you already have DOS or Windows installed. ZipSlack installs into a
    directory on your DOS filesystem. It can also be installed to and booted
    from a Zip disk.

    This distribution is ideal for people who don't have a lot of hard disk
    space, do not have a fast Internet connection to download the entire
    distribution, or who want a Linux distribution they can carry around
    on a Zip disk.

    Some people say slackware is not for beginners. What they really mean is
    that slackware is not for dummies.

    dan

+ Reply to Thread