pcmcia xircom network card problem - Portable

This is a discussion on pcmcia xircom network card problem - Portable ; I'm running Debian Woody 2.4.16 kernel on an Acer extensa 501. I just can't bring my Xircom xe2000 card to work at all. cardclt ident gave me the message that there's no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices ok - then I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: pcmcia xircom network card problem

  1. pcmcia xircom network card problem

    I'm running Debian Woody 2.4.16 kernel on an Acer extensa 501. I just
    can't bring my Xircom xe2000 card to work at all.

    cardclt ident gave me the message that there's no pcmcia driver in
    /proc/devices

    ok - then I tried to load xirc2ps_cs with modconf but only got another
    error message:

    ds: no socket driver loaded!
    /lib/modules/2.4.16-386/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o init_module:
    Operation not permitted
    /lib/modules/2.4.16-386/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.16-386/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.16-386/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod xirc2ps_cs failed

    lsmod showed me this line
    pcmcia_core 38080 0

    Does anybody have any idea what to do??


    L. Westmeier


  2. Re: pcmcia xircom network card problem

    L. Westmeier wrote:
    > I'm running Debian Woody 2.4.16 kernel on an Acer extensa 501. I just
    > can't bring my Xircom xe2000 card to work at all.


    > cardclt ident gave me the message that there's no pcmcia driver in
    > /proc/devices


    That means the PCMCIA subsystem is not running. Maybe it is
    disabled. Look at /etc/pcmcia.conf

    > ok - then I tried to load xirc2ps_cs with modconf but only got another
    > error message:


    You can't do that. It won't work. Figure out why the PCMCIA
    subsystem is turned off.

    > lsmod showed me this line
    > pcmcia_core 38080 0


    > Does anybody have any idea what to do??


    Run "/etc/init.d/pcmcia start" and see what happens.

    -- Dave

  3. Re: pcmcia xircom network card problem

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:

    > You can't do that. It won't work. Figure out why the PCMCIA
    > subsystem is turned off.
    >
    >
    >>lsmod showed me this line
    >>pcmcia_core 38080 0

    >
    > Run "/etc/init.d/pcmcia start" and see what happens.
    >

    That command gave me this error message:

    'Starting PCMCIA services: modulesinsmod: a module pcmcia_core already
    exists'
    '/lib/modules/2.4.16-386/pcmcia/i82365.o: unresolved symbol
    isapnp_find_devR9991be23'
    'ds: no socket drivers loaded!'
    '/lib/modules/2.4.16-386/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted'
    'Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    'cardmgr.'

    I hope somebody knows what that could mean ...


    L. Westmeier


  4. Re: pcmcia xircom network card problem

    L. Westmeier wrote:
    > dhinds@sonic.net wrote:


    > > You can't do that. It won't work. Figure out why the PCMCIA
    >> subsystem is turned off.
    >>
    >>
    >>>lsmod showed me this line
    >>>pcmcia_core 38080 0

    >>
    >> Run "/etc/init.d/pcmcia start" and see what happens.
    >>

    > That command gave me this error message:


    > 'Starting PCMCIA services: modulesinsmod: a module pcmcia_core already
    > exists'
    > '/lib/modules/2.4.16-386/pcmcia/i82365.o: unresolved symbol
    > isapnp_find_devR9991be23'


    The PCMCIA-HOWTO would tell you that unresolved symbols normally
    indicate some sort of kernel/module configuration mismatch. Did you,
    perhaps, reconfigure your kernel, but not build/install a new set of
    modules at the same time? This i82365 module seems to expect ISA PnP
    support, but your kernel doesn't provide it.

    Please describe anything you've done along the lines of updating your
    kernel, updating the pcmcia-cs package, etc.

    The other possibility is that you did install new modules, but did not
    build a new i82365 module, so that one in particular is out of date,
    left over from a previous build.

    Incidentally, i82365 is probably the wrong socket driver anyway, if
    this is a reasonably current laptop (say less than 10 years old). Try
    editing /etc/pcmcia.conf and replace "i82365" with "yenta_socket".

    -- Dave

  5. Re: pcmcia xircom network card problem

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:

    > Incidentally, i82365 is probably the wrong socket driver anyway, if
    > this is a reasonably current laptop (say less than 10 years old). Try
    > editing /etc/pcmcia.conf and replace "i82365" with "yenta_socket".


    I edited /etc/default/pcmcia and replaced "i82365" with "yenta_socket".
    Now the cardctl ident gives me this message:

    Socket 1:
    product info: "Xircom", "10/100 Network PC Card", "XE2000", "1.00"
    manfid: 0x0105, 0x010a
    function: 6 (network)

    Sounds good to me. I hope I will be able to get it running now. Thanks
    for your help so far.

    Lars


+ Reply to Thread