Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41 - Portable

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41 - Portable ; I noticed that the linux on laptops page is pretty much static now. There have been no updates this year. Therefore I am just informing this list of the discription of my experiences at: http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html Hope that it is helpful ...

  1. Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41

    I noticed that the linux on laptops page is pretty much static now.
    There have been no updates this year. Therefore I am just informing this
    list of the discription of my experiences at:

    http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html

    Hope that it is helpful to someone.

    Basically, as you'll see there, everything works, including the built-in
    centrino wireless. However, the network scripts are extremely unfriendly
    for a portable that moves to different places and has to attach to
    different wireless networks.

    If anyone knows a good solution for moving from one wireless network to
    the other (with different WEP keys, of course: open networks are fine)
    then let me know.

    Ian Hutchinson.

  2. Re: Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41

    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    > On 2004-02-28, Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    >
    >>I noticed that the linux on laptops page is pretty much static now.
    >>There have been no updates this year. Therefore I am just informing this
    >>list of the discription of my experiences at:
    >>
    >>http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html
    >>
    >>Hope that it is helpful to someone.
    >>

    > One other thing, you might want to have a look at my T40p page[1] and have a
    > fiddle with your 3D drivers and probably also dual-headed goodness.
    >
    > have fun
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > [1] http://www.digriz.org.uk/t40p-linux/

    When you are trying to get FIR going, the trick AFAIK is that you must
    make the serial driver a module in the kernel so it can be removed and
    then release the IRDA for the FIR driver. Otherwise it gets grabbed by
    serial and setserial can't release it.

    Ian

  3. Re: Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41

    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    > On 2004-02-28, Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    >
    >>I noticed that the linux on laptops page is pretty much static now.
    >>There have been no updates this year. Therefore I am just informing this
    >>list of the discription of my experiences at:
    >>
    >>http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html
    >>
    >>Hope that it is helpful to someone.
    >>

    > Probably TuxMobile is better place to submit your entry.
    >
    > http://www.tuxmobile.org/mylaptops.html

    Thanks, yes I think that seems these days to be more active.

    >>Basically, as you'll see there, everything works, including the built-in
    >>centrino wireless. However, the network scripts are extremely unfriendly
    >>for a portable that moves to different places and has to attach to
    >>different wireless networks.
    >>
    >>If anyone knows a good solution for moving from one wireless network to
    >>the other (with different WEP keys, of course: open networks are fine)
    >>then let me know.
    >>

    > Look for the 'whereami' package. You will be able to do some 'probing' of
    > the network and then execute various commands of your choosing.

    No that package is no use for wireless, it only uses ifconfig, which
    does not give the wireless information that one needs to decide what
    *wireless* WEP keys to specify to connect to the network at all. The
    whereami package assumes ethernet, and seems just to be setting up stuff
    for different addresses. Most dhcp connections give you all the
    information that you need, and the standard scripts are ok on that front
    (with a few shortcomings)

    Ian Hutchinson

  4. Re: Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:48:04 +0100, Ian Hutchinson wrote:

    > I noticed that the linux on laptops page is pretty much static now.
    > There have been no updates this year. Therefore I am just informing this
    > list of the discription of my experiences at:
    >
    > http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html

    Unfortunately Kenneth doesn't seem to have time to update
    Linux-On-Laptops http://linux-on-laptops.com often. But you may
    submit Linux laptop installation reports to TuxMobil - Linux On
    Mobile Computers http://tuxmobil.org

    Werner

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

  5. Re: Fedora Core 1 on Thinkpad T41

    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    > On 2004-02-29, Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    >
    >>Alexander Clouter wrote:
    >>
    >>When you are trying to get FIR going, the trick AFAIK is that you must
    >>make the serial driver a module in the kernel so it can be removed and
    >>then release the IRDA for the FIR driver. Otherwise it gets grabbed by
    >>serial and setserial can't release it.
    >>

    > no serial ports, so I don't have the serial driver loaded anyway....

    Nonsense. You have a serial port as far as the BIOS is concerned, namely
    the IRDA (and the actual serial port generally). If you run a stock
    kernel (which quite possibly you aren't but the point remains) then if
    it is fedora, it will have serial enabled built into the kernel and it
    will screw your use of FIR.

    Ian Hutchinson

+ Reply to Thread