Laptop powers off, when I request a reboot - Portable

This is a discussion on Laptop powers off, when I request a reboot - Portable ; I'm still fighting with my transition from kernel 2.2.20 to 2.4.24 (Debian 3.0R1). When I type 'reboot' (alias for 'shutdown -r now') on the console, the laptop (Dell Insprion 7500) properly shutdowns. But instead to reboot, it powers off. In ...

  1. Laptop powers off, when I request a reboot

    I'm still fighting with my transition from kernel 2.2.20 to 2.4.24
    (Debian 3.0R1).

    When I type 'reboot' (alias for 'shutdown -r now') on the console, the
    laptop (Dell Insprion 7500) properly shutdowns. But instead to reboot,
    it powers off.

    In the kernel 2.4.24 I enabled ACPI, APM and Power-Management (Y, not
    M). With boot parameters I switch them on or off. I also tried different
    values (cold, warm, hard, bios) for the reboot= parameter. Nothing
    works, the laptop always powers off and never reboots.

    With kernel 2.2.20 (without ACPI, APM and Power-Management enabled)
    everything works flawless. My first try with 2.4.24 (ACPI, APM and
    Power-Management disabled) the reboot didn't work either.

    Any hint how to get a working reboot?

    Dieter Rohlfing

    --
    The above mentioned address exists, but I do not read any mails.
    Please post your answers only to this newsgroup.

  2. Re: Laptop powers off, when I request a reboot

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:56:51 +0000, Alexander Clouter wrote:

    >Sounds like someone has APIC support enabled......this is a common problem.

    No, APIC is disabled (according to the kernel log):

    kernel: Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected.
    Refusing to enable the local APIC.

    Regards.

    Dieter

    --
    The above mentioned address exists, but I do not read any mails.
    Please post your answers only to this newsgroup.

+ Reply to Thread