Yamaha POL3-SA3 - Portable

This is a discussion on Yamaha POL3-SA3 - Portable ; is there a way after installing debian to enable this device I got the 3.0sr1 disks and instaleld via that and I though I loaded all the drivers I needed now I know I can go ahead and reinstall and ...

  1. Yamaha POL3-SA3

    is there a way after installing debian to enable this device

    I got the 3.0sr1 disks and instaleld via that and I though I loaded
    all the drivers I needed
    now I know I can go ahead and reinstall and try addding more sound
    driver but I was hoping someone knew a trick to get it working without
    doign that

    any hlpe would be very much appreciated

    system is runnign on a toshiba 480cdt laptop

    thanks for all those who reply

  2. Re: Yamaha POL3-SA3

    >>>DaVinci Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:14:45 GMT>>>

    > is there a way after installing debian to enable this device
    >

    > system is runnign on a toshiba 480cdt laptop

    Hello DaVinci--
    I'm sure you mean opl3sa3 not pol3sa3. I have a Toshiba 4010cds with this sound chip and it works fine. I had to configure it manually which is really easy to do. I'm using slackware 9.1 but you should have no trouble figuring it out on debian. The file I edited is /etc/modules.conf although on some systems it is called conf.modules instead. Look for that file and try adding the following lines:

    alias char-major-14 opl3sa2
    alias midi opl3
    options opl3sa2 io=0x538 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
    options opl3 io=0x388

    Now run depmod -e, start up a sound player e.g. xmms, and run lsmod to see which modules are loaded. You should see a bunch of sound modules including opl3sa2. If you still don' hear sound, your mixere is probably muted. Run aumix or rexima or gnome-volume-control or whatever app you use.

    Further troubleshooting: I got those io and irq numbers from Toshiba BIOS: hold the key while booting, then hit F1 and look around for your sound chip information.

    hth
    dan

  3. Re: Yamaha POL3-SA3

    bingo
    perkect...worked first thing
    much Much MUCH appreciated
    I have MP3's playing again :-D

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:52:40 -0500, danm wrote:

    >> is there a way after installing debian to enable this device
    >>

    >> system is runnign on a toshiba 480cdt laptop
    >>

    >Hello DaVinci--
    >I'm sure you mean opl3sa3 not pol3sa3. I have a Toshiba 4010cds with this sound chip and it works fine. I had to configure it manually which is really easy to do. I'm using slackware 9.1 but you should have no trouble figuring it out on debian. The file I edited is /etc/modules.conf although on some systems it is called conf.modules instead. Look for that file and try adding the following lines:
    >
    >alias char-major-14 opl3sa2
    >alias midi opl3
    >options opl3sa2 io=0x538 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
    >options opl3 io=0x388
    >
    >Now run depmod -e, start up a sound player e.g. xmms, and run lsmod to see which modules are loaded. You should see a bunch of sound modules including opl3sa2. If you still don' hear sound, your mixere is probably muted. Run aumix or rexima or gnome-volume-control or whatever app you use.
    >
    >Further troubleshooting: I got those io and irq numbers from Toshiba BIOS: hold the key while booting, then hit F1 and look around for your sound chip information.
    >
    >hth
    >dan

+ Reply to Thread