Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used - Portable

This is a discussion on Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used - Portable ; The screen blanks after 300 seconds even while I am typing on the second keyboard (connected to the laptop through USB). The screen unblanks when any key on the laptop is hit. Any idea why? I'm running Red Hat 9 ...

  1. Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    The screen blanks after 300 seconds even while I am typing on the
    second keyboard (connected to the laptop through USB).

    The screen unblanks when any key on the laptop is hit.

    Any idea why?

    I'm running Red Hat 9 / Kernel 2.4.20.

    Thanks in advance,
    Sherif Ghali

  2. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    On 21 Feb 2004 19:22:52 -0700, Sherif Ghali
    wrote:

    >The screen blanks after 300 seconds even while I am typing on the
    >second keyboard (connected to the laptop through USB).
    >
    >The screen unblanks when any key on the laptop is hit.
    >
    >Any idea why?
    >
    >I'm running Red Hat 9 / Kernel 2.4.20.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Sherif Ghali

    Tried setterm [ -blank [ 0-60 ] ]?
    man setterm

  3. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    H. Dziardziel writes:

    > Tried setterm [ -blank [ 0-60 ] ]?
    > man setterm

    I've tried several X variations:

    1- setterm -blank 0
    2- xset s noblank
    3- xset -dpms
    4- xset s off
    5- look for a line containing 'setterm' in /etc/rc.d/ and comment it out
    (no such line in ls -lR of that directory)

    None of these work.

    The trouble appears to be:

    1- The keyboard events received through USB do not reset
    the blanking timer.

    and/or

    2- Requesting no blanking (via 'setterm -blank 0') is ignored.

    Sherif

  4. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    On 22 Feb 2004 02:41:05 -0700, Sherif Ghali
    wrote:

    >H. Dziardziel writes:
    >

    >> Tried setterm [ -blank [ 0-60 ] ]?
    >> man setterm

    >I've tried several X variations:
    >
    >1- setterm -blank 0
    >2- xset s noblank
    >3- xset -dpms
    >4- xset s off
    >5- look for a line containing 'setterm' in /etc/rc.d/ and comment it out
    > (no such line in ls -lR of that directory)

    5 Tried putting it in I presume?

    >None of these work.
    >
    >The trouble appears to be:
    >
    > 1- The keyboard events received through USB do not reset
    > the blanking timer.
    >
    >and/or
    >
    > 2- Requesting no blanking (via 'setterm -blank 0') is ignored.

    As root even in console?

    >Sherif

    Any setting in the BIOS setup to shut off the backlight? Setterm
    only blanks the screen unless APM enabled for backlight off too.
    Been awhile since I did this by the way.

  5. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    H. Dziardziel writes:

    > As root even in console?

    > Any setting in the BIOS setup to shut off the backlight? Setterm
    > only blanks the screen unless APM enabled for backlight off too.
    > Been awhile since I did this by the way.

    Let me formulate my question in a different way.

    On a dual-boot RH9/Windows XP machine, why does the external (USB)
    mouse or keyboard wake the machine up from its screen saver under
    Windows, but does not under linux? (the BIOS settings remain untouched
    between boots).

    Sherif

  6. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:07:58 -0700, Sherif Ghali penned:

    > H. Dziardziel writes:
    >

    >> As root even in console?

    >> Any setting in the BIOS setup to shut off the backlight? Setterm
    >> only blanks the screen unless APM enabled for backlight off too.
    >> Been awhile since I did this by the way.

    > Let me formulate my question in a different way.
    >
    > On a dual-boot RH9/Windows XP machine, why does the external (USB)
    > mouse or keyboard wake the machine up from its screen saver under
    > Windows, but does not under linux? (the BIOS settings remain untouched
    > between boots).
    >
    > Sherif

    What machine are we talking about? My thinkpad 600E, (though not dual
    boot) wakes up fine with an external USB keyboard and/or mouse as does my
    non branded desktop.

    Not RH, but I don't see that making much difference.
    --
    Tony

    Experience is directly proportional to the cost of the equipment ruined.

  7. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    wrote:

    >Let me formulate my question in a different way.
    >
    >On a dual-boot RH9/Windows XP machine, why does the external (USB)
    >mouse or keyboard wake the machine up from its screen saver under
    >Windows, but does not under linux? (the BIOS settings remain untouched
    >between boots).
    >
    >Sherif

    In that case your second post nbr.1 seems probable. Sorry can't
    suggest anything for that.. But does nbr2 work i.e. no blanking
    still ignored?

  8. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    "S. Anthony Sequeira" writes:

    > What machine are we talking about? My thinkpad 600E, (though not dual
    > boot) wakes up fine with an external USB keyboard and/or mouse as does my
    > non branded desktop.
    >
    > Not RH, but I don't see that making much difference.
    > --
    > Tony

    It's a Thinkpad T22. It has always behaved this way with an external
    keyboard, but the blanking time was 60 minutes so I didn't worry about
    it. Now it is (somehow) down to 5 minutes.

    Sherif

  9. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    H. Dziardziel writes:

    > In that case your second post nbr.1 seems probable. Sorry can't
    > suggest anything for that.. But does nbr2 work i.e. no blanking
    > still ignored?

    that's right: Requesting no blanking (via 'setterm -blank 0') is ignored.

    SG

  10. Re: Screen blanks even though USB keyboard is used

    On 28 Feb 2004 12:48:59 -0700, Sherif Ghali
    wrote:

    >H. Dziardziel writes:
    >>
    >> In that case your second post nbr.1 seems probable. Sorry can't
    >> suggest anything for that.. But does nbr2 work i.e. no blanking
    >> still ignored?

    >that's right: Requesting no blanking (via 'setterm -blank 0') is ignored.
    >
    >SG

    In console (not X) as root /bin/setterm?
    Does /etc/rc.d/rc.local have setterm -blank 0?
    I'm guessing RedHat 9 has that -- if not check the RedHat manual
    for startups

    Does the backlight go off too in terminal when blanked?
    If it does then perhaps ACPI or APM in the kernel?

+ Reply to Thread