bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn? - Portable

This is a discussion on bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn? - Portable ; I have just got a request from a client that I'm not quite sure how to meet. The NFS server is no problem, but the rest is. I need to be able to take the laptop out and about and ...

  1. bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn?

    I have just got a request from a client that I'm not quite sure how to
    meet. The NFS server is no problem, but the rest is.

    I need to be able to take the laptop out and about and be able to
    access files on the office server. As the data I will be accessing is
    snsitive, it can't be stored on the laptop in the event of theft,
    loss, etc. To this end, I need to find a solution that allows me to
    connect to the office server when a few hundred miles away, and work
    on the documents on the server... The laptop I'm using is a Dell CPX
    that works well with Slackware. I just need the rest of the
    hardware... but don't know what to get..

    I figure the best solution is to use a bluetooth adapter (either
    PCMCIA or USB, just has to work) and a bluetooth-enabled cell phone
    that can call up the ISP and set up a connection... then network with
    the office in some way shape or form...

    What combination of hardware just works with minimal fiddling?
    what software would I need? VPN is new to me, but is there another
    solution that I might be more familiar with?

  2. Re: bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn?

    When you run KDE you can access the files via konquerors fish:// and
    sftp:// connection via ssh. This is very comfortable.

    About bluetooth I cannot say anything. Aren't there PCMCIA-cards for
    mobile connections? And I just saw that they are starting with umts in
    Germany.

    Greetings
    juh

    --
    Die kommunalen Bürgerportale
    Offene Nachrichten- und Diskussionsforen

  3. Re: bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn?

    I'm in the UK, and have heard talk of using GRPS for the web browsing,
    but I was under the impression that was rather expensive to operate,
    as I'd be passing sizeable files back and forth. Anyone else got any
    bluetooth suggestions?

    Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote in message news:<87smh41sio.fsf@hasecke.com>...
    > When you run KDE you can access the files via konquerors fish:// and
    > sftp:// connection via ssh. This is very comfortable.
    >
    > About bluetooth I cannot say anything. Aren't there PCMCIA-cards for
    > mobile connections? And I just saw that they are starting with umts in
    > Germany.
    >
    > Greetings
    > juh

  4. Re: bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn?

    I've seen this working before from a guy in the local LUG.
    T-mobile wireless phone + USB bluetooth adapter. Supposedly dl toppped at
    around 30 K.

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:29:02 -0800, Mr Galorin wrote:

    > I'm in the UK, and have heard talk of using GRPS for the web browsing,
    > but I was under the impression that was rather expensive to operate,
    > as I'd be passing sizeable files back and forth. Anyone else got any
    > bluetooth suggestions?
    >
    > Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote in message news:<87smh41sio.fsf@hasecke.com>...
    >> When you run KDE you can access the files via konquerors fish:// and
    >> sftp:// connection via ssh. This is very comfortable.
    >>
    >> About bluetooth I cannot say anything. Aren't there PCMCIA-cards for
    >> mobile connections? And I just saw that they are starting with umts in
    >> Germany.
    >>
    >> Greetings
    >> juh

  5. Re: bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn?

    > I need to be able to take the laptop out and about and be able to
    > access files on the office server. As the data I will be accessing is
    > snsitive, it can't be stored on the laptop in the event of theft,
    > loss, etc. To this end, I need to find a solution that allows me to
    > connect to the office server when a few hundred miles away, and work
    > on the documents on the server... The laptop I'm using is a Dell CPX
    > that works well with Slackware. I just need the rest of the
    > hardware... but don't know what to get..
    >
    > I figure the best solution is to use a bluetooth adapter (either
    > PCMCIA or USB, just has to work) and a bluetooth-enabled cell phone
    > that can call up the ISP and set up a connection... then network with
    > the office in some way shape or form...
    >
    > What combination of hardware just works with minimal fiddling?
    > what software would I need? VPN is new to me, but is there another
    > solution that I might be more familiar with?

    A cell phone can be accessed using three methods.
    1) Infrared - normall no investment on PC
    2) Datacable (Possibly a docking station)
    3) Bluetooth

    I would recommend using infrared or better still a docking station.
    Bluetooth is a bit of a hassle, if you do not have it inside the PC.
    If you do get Bluetooth, beware of Nokia Phones.
    Sony-Ericsson is normally very stable with BT.

    If you have VPN, then any method of connecting to Internet (Modem,Broadband,
    WLAN) would do.
    You only need Cellular when you do not have access to the other means.

    With GSM technology You have choice of HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Swicth
    Data)
    where you pay by the minute or GPRS where you can stay connected but
    pay per bit transfered.
    GPRS is probably the most suitable for You.

    You might want to consider to store your file on some kind of encrypted USB
    memory stick as well.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

  6. Re: bluetooth + mobile phone + vpn?

    Well, the laptop's CMOS is locked with an administrative password that
    not even the origional owner knows. All the nice things like booting
    from USB, booting from network, infared port, and cpu speed control
    have been disabled, with no means of restoring them in sight, so IR is
    out.

    The data cable is a good possibility, from the docs I've seen on the
    nokia 6310iLinux will pick it up as a serial modem when attatched via
    data cable, but bluetooth makes me look l33t.. not that I care. I've
    also found various docs on connecting to it via bluetooth, and looks
    like most usb adapters will be compatible.

    USB key is a must for my work, and I'll be using encrypted loopback
    anyhow. Thanks for the input so far.

    > A cell phone can be accessed using three methods.
    > 1) Infrared - normall no investment on PC
    > 2) Datacable (Possibly a docking station)
    > 3) Bluetooth
    >
    > I would recommend using infrared or better still a docking station.
    > Bluetooth is a bit of a hassle, if you do not have it inside the PC.
    > If you do get Bluetooth, beware of Nokia Phones.
    > Sony-Ericsson is normally very stable with BT.
    >
    > If you have VPN, then any method of connecting to Internet (Modem,Broadband,
    > WLAN) would do.
    > You only need Cellular when you do not have access to the other means.
    >
    > With GSM technology You have choice of HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Swicth
    > Data)
    > where you pay by the minute or GPRS where you can stay connected but
    > pay per bit transfered.
    > GPRS is probably the most suitable for You.
    >
    > You might want to consider to store your file on some kind of encrypted USB
    > memory stick as well.

+ Reply to Thread