Toshiba Satellite sound? - Portable

This is a discussion on Toshiba Satellite sound? - Portable ; Hello. I was given a two year old system (model 2400?) and went ahead to install RH8 on it. Everything was fine except for sound which I am now trying to setup. The modules in use are; i810_audio 25224 0 ...

  1. Toshiba Satellite sound?

    Hello.

    I was given a two year old system (model 2400?) and went ahead to
    install RH8 on it. Everything was fine except for sound which I am
    now trying to setup.

    The modules in use are;

    i810_audio 25224 0 (autoclean)
    ac97_codec 13384 0 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
    soundcore 6532 2 (autoclean) [i810_audio]

    Sox reports that the device can handle only 2 channels so playing a
    few test wav files as;

    $ play -c2 test.wav

    Can work but on some files it will play the audio and then hang. The
    files seem to be playing a little fast also.

    There is a problem with the sampling rates supported by the chip or
    driver too.

    Questions;

    1. Is there a simple fix for these problems on RH8?

    2. Would an upgrade to RH9 or another very recent Linux distro help>

    Thanks.

    Jerry Sievers 305 854-3001 (home) WWW ECommerce Consultant
    305 321-1144 (mobile http://www.JerrySievers.com/

  2. Re: Toshiba Satellite sound?

    Jerry Sievers wrote:
    > 1. Is there a simple fix for these problems on RH8?

    I see similar problems with RH8 on a Toshiba SatPro 6100 and would be
    interested in any solutions that may be available.

    --
    Geoff Lane
    I'm not a complete idiot -- several parts are missing.

  3. Re: Toshiba Satellite sound?

    >> On 19 Feb 2004 22:42:47 GMT,
    >> Geoff Lane said:

    > Jerry Sievers wrote:
    >> 1. Is there a simple fix for these problems on RH8?

    > I see similar problems with RH8 on a Toshiba SatPro 6100 and
    > would be interested in any solutions that may be available.

    Have you tried ALSA?

    http://www.alsa-project.org/

    hth

  4. Re: Toshiba Satellite sound?

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:42:47 +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Jerry Sievers wrote:
    >> 1. Is there a simple fix for these problems on RH8?

    > I see similar problems with RH8 on a Toshiba SatPro 6100 and would be
    > interested in any solutions that may be available.

    I have the exact model laptop and am running alsa with not a single
    problem. oss would always fail to work properly. My system runns Gentoo
    but I am sure that doesn't make squat difference as far as alsa goes.

    Jayson G

+ Reply to Thread