Buying a portable... - Portable

This is a discussion on Buying a portable... - Portable ; Hi! I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is *really* compatible with LinuX. Can anyone give me any advice? tnx! LuniX...

  1. Buying a portable...

    Hi!
    I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    *really* compatible with LinuX.
    Can anyone give me any advice?
    tnx!
    LuniX

  2. Re: Buying a portable...

    On Monday 19 January 2004 16:33, >>LuniX>> wrote:

    > I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > *really* compatible with LinuX.
    > Can anyone give me any advice?

    Take a look at the eNote Lite.

    http://www.insi.com.tw/e/prod/ntbook/enote.htm

    It is also being sold by Lindows with Lindows pre-installed. About $900
    US. Although, it should run any distro of Linux.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  3. Re: Buying a portable...

    "Stefan Patric" wrote in message
    > On Monday 19 January 2004 16:33, >>LuniX>> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > > *really* compatible with LinuX.
    > > Can anyone give me any advice?

    > Take a look at the eNote Lite.
    >
    > http://www.insi.com.tw/e/prod/ntbook/enote.htm
    >
    > It is also being sold by Lindows with Lindows pre-installed. About $900
    > US. Although, it should run any distro of Linux.

    Is there anything like that but with a built-in DVD drive?

  4. Re: Buying a portable...

    >>LuniX>> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > *really* compatible with LinuX.

    Try visiting www.tuxmobile.org

    Anand Singh Bisen

  5. Re: Buying a portable...

    >>LuniX>> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > *really* compatible with LinuX.
    > Can anyone give me any advice?
    > tnx!
    > LuniX

    These come pretty close to *really* working (only the integrated smartcard
    readers in the two laptops seem not to be working).

    I'm currently using a Dell Latitude D800 which works very well. Have a look at
    http://www.mikehardy.net/linux_latitude_d800/ for details.

    My girlfriend has a Toshiba 2410. Also works very well. See
    http://www.thorstenhaas.de/toshiba2410/
    --
    Frederik Dannemare

  6. Re: Buying a portable...

    Frederik Dannemare wrote:
    > >>LuniX>> wrote:

    >> Hi!
    >> I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    >> *really* compatible with LinuX.
    >> Can anyone give me any advice?
    >> tnx!
    >> LuniX
    >>

    > These come pretty close to *really* working (only the integrated
    > smartcard readers in the two laptops seem not to be working).
    >
    > I'm currently using a Dell Latitude D800 which works very well. Have a
    > look at http://www.mikehardy.net/linux_latitude_d800/ for details.
    >
    > My girlfriend has a Toshiba 2410. Also works very well. See
    > http://www.thorstenhaas.de/toshiba2410/

    I have a 2410 as well and it runs flawlessly in Linux. I'm currently
    running 2.6.3 but I've been running everything since 2.4.22 without much
    problems exept the older kernels had keyboard issues.

    Cheers,
    Steve

  7. Re: Buying a portable...

    I have a LC2430 from Linuxcertified. I think it is as close to 100%
    compatible as they get. Power management is a tad weak, but other than
    that the laptop is solid and fully works.

    http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2430.html

    theanswriz42 wrote in message news:...

    > >> Hi!
    > >> I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > >> *really* compatible with LinuX.
    > >> Can anyone give me any advice?
    > >> tnx!
    > >> LuniX

  8. Re: Buying a portable...

    As long as people are posting testimonials... my preference is
    last year's business grade IBM ThinkPad (X, T or A series). My X23
    (1662-EEU) is 100% Linux compatible, albeit not out of the box (the
    builtin winmodem required a separate download, as did the 801.11b
    wireless). At this time, everything built-in that I use works:
    APM, FIR, 802.11, 10/100 Ethernet, V.90 modem, PCMCIA, USB, Radeon
    acceleration, audio, and 3-button trackpoint. The only pieces I can't
    testify for are those I have not tried (audio in, Compact Flash, and
    external video).

    Two side notes: Buy last year's model, not only will you save a bundle,
    but there is a much higher probability that everything will work
    because there has been time for the drivers to be developed. Spend
    your money on extra memory and a bigger, faster HD. Then go to
    www.linux-on-laptops.com to find out how other people have fared
    with the model you are considering (another reason to buy last year's
    model is so you can let other people do the hard part and just follow
    their recipe).

    Linux 2.6.3 (SuSE 9.0, KDE 3.2) on an IBM ThinkPad X23, 866Mhz, 640MB,
    60G@7200rpm, 3.6lbs travel weight.

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

  9. Re: Buying a portable...

    >>LuniX>> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > *really* compatible with LinuX.
    > Can anyone give me any advice?
    > tnx!
    > LuniX

    I've been very impressed with how well Yellow Dog Linux works
    on my Apple Titanium PowerBook.

    Duke

  10. Re: Buying a portable...

    > >>LuniX>> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >> I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    >> *really* compatible with LinuX.
    >> Can anyone give me any advice?
    >> tnx!
    >> LuniX

    Check the available models hier before buying:

    http://www.tuxmobile.org/ and

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

    Visvanath.

  11. Re: Buying a portable...

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:33:34 +0100, >>LuniX>> wrote:

    > I'm to buy a portable and I would buy a model that is
    > *really* compatible with LinuX.

    > Can anyone give me any advice?

    The best course of action for beginners is to buy a laptop that has been out
    for a while and has been confirmed to work by (a) Linux expert/experts. Most
    laptops eventually get written up on a web page but initial success/failure
    reports can often be found via a web search.

    Unfortunately laptops don't remain on the market for very long, but you can
    find unused older-model laptops on Ebay. I don't recommend buying used laptops
    because prices have never seemed to depreciate as much as the laptop's
    technology has aged and its parts have gotten beaten up.

    Without talking about specific models, this advice has worked for me for ten
    years and should stand the test of time.

    --
    John GOTTS http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts

+ Reply to Thread