looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286 - Portable

This is a discussion on looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286 - Portable ; without cd rom access -- * REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT * Woodzy http://www.rtdos.com...

  1. looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286

    without cd rom access

    --
    * REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT *

    Woodzy
    http://www.rtdos.com

  2. Re: looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286

    rtdos wrote:

    > without cd rom access

    As far as I know, there's no such thing. Linux was originally written on a
    386. A 286 doesn't have the resources to handle it. IIRC, you might find
    a version of Minux that will work.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  3. Re: looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286

    "rtdos" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > without cd rom access
    >
    > --
    > * REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT *
    >
    > Woodzy
    > http://www.rtdos.com

    There is a special Linux named "ELKS". It supports even 8086 CPUs.Search
    Google to find out.

  4. Re: looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286

    doesn't slackware run in 286 . The ability to run on 286 is becoming the
    thing of the past.

  5. Re: looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286

    Drew Cutter wrote:

    > doesn't slackware run in 286

    No. Slackware (up to 9.1) runs on the minimum required for a standard Linux
    kernel: a 80386 without a math co-processor. Slackware 9.1 (and concievably
    beyond) runs on an 80486.

    > . The ability to run on 286 is becoming the
    > thing of the past.

    ELKS or Minix or even (shudder) SCO Unix (I don't remember which version,
    tho) will run on on a 286. Heck, for that matter, Xenix could, if you could
    still find a copy.

  6. Re: looking for a ver of linux that'll work on a 286

    In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, "rtdos" transmitted:
    > without cd rom access

    You'll have to explore one of the ucLinux systems to find something
    that will run without an MMU.

    You're probably better off looking for a copy of Minix, as it was
    designed for that class of hardware...
    --
    If this was helpful, rate me
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/