Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report) - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report) - Portable ; It is only a few weeks ago since laptops with 64bit CPU became available. The first installation report about Linux on a laptop with AMD64 CPU is online now. It covers Debian/GNU Linux and Kernel 2.6 on a Xeron Sonic ...

  1. Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report)

    It is only a few weeks ago since laptops with 64bit CPU became
    available. The first installation report about Linux on a laptop with
    AMD64 CPU is online now. It covers Debian/GNU Linux and Kernel 2.6 on
    a Xeron Sonic Pro 800MX laptop.

    http://tuxmobil.org/xeron_sonic_pro_800mx.html

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

  2. Re: Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report)

    Werner Heuser wrote:

    > It is only a few weeks ago since laptops with 64bit CPU became
    > available. The first installation report about Linux on a laptop with
    > AMD64 CPU is online now. It covers Debian/GNU Linux and Kernel 2.6 on
    > a Xeron Sonic Pro 800MX laptop.
    >
    > http://tuxmobil.org/xeron_sonic_pro_800mx.html

    One thing I'm curious about, is whether those CPUs support 32 bit virtual
    machines? If so, you could have several different operating systems
    running on the same computer. For example, it would be nice if I could run
    OS/2 on my Linux box without rebooting, instead of on another computer.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  3. Re: Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report)

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:16:17 +0000, James Knott wrote:

    > Werner Heuser wrote:
    >
    >> It is only a few weeks ago since laptops with 64bit CPU became
    >> available. The first installation report about Linux on a laptop with
    >> AMD64 CPU is online now. It covers Debian/GNU Linux and Kernel 2.6 on
    >> a Xeron Sonic Pro 800MX laptop.
    >>
    >> http://tuxmobil.org/xeron_sonic_pro_800mx.html
    >>

    > One thing I'm curious about, is whether those CPUs support 32 bit virtual
    > machines? If so, you could have several different operating systems
    > running on the same computer. For example, it would be nice if I could run
    > OS/2 on my Linux box without rebooting, instead of on another computer.

    Check out VMWare, it allows you to run multiple OSes simultaneously. Don't
    know if the can host OS2, you'll have to check their website.

  4. Re: Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report)

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:16:17 +0000, James Knott wrote:
    >
    >> Werner Heuser wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is only a few weeks ago since laptops with 64bit CPU became
    >>> available. The first installation report about Linux on a laptop with
    >>> AMD64 CPU is online now. It covers Debian/GNU Linux and Kernel 2.6 on
    >>> a Xeron Sonic Pro 800MX laptop.
    >>>
    >>> http://tuxmobil.org/xeron_sonic_pro_800mx.html
    >>>

    >> One thing I'm curious about, is whether those CPUs support 32 bit virtual
    >> machines? If so, you could have several different operating systems
    >> running on the same computer. For example, it would be nice if I could
    >> run OS/2 on my Linux box without rebooting, instead of on another
    >> computer.

    > Check out VMWare, it allows you to run multiple OSes simultaneously. Don't
    > know if the can host OS2, you'll have to check their website.

    I'm aware of VMWARE and that's not what I was asking about. The AMD 64 bit
    CPU supports running 32 bit code. It would be nice, if you could install a
    copy of some 32 bit OS, such as OS/2 or even Windows (yuck) in a virtual
    machine. An example of where this is done, is in OS/2 v2 & later, where
    you can install any version of DOS or even CP/M-86 in a virtual machine. I
    believe the IBM big iron also supports this feature, for other operating
    systems, including Linux. With virtual machines, you don't need any other
    software, beyond the desired OS.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  5. Re: Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report)

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:25:59 +0000, James Knott wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> One thing I'm curious about, is whether those CPUs support 32 bit virtual
    >>> machines? If so, you could have several different operating systems
    >>> running on the same computer. For example, it would be nice if I could
    >>> run OS/2 on my Linux box without rebooting, instead of on another
    >>> computer.

    >> Check out VMWare, it allows you to run multiple OSes simultaneously. Don't
    >> know if the can host OS2, you'll have to check their website.

    > I'm aware of VMWARE and that's not what I was asking about. The AMD 64 bit
    > CPU supports running 32 bit code. It would be nice, if you could install a
    > copy of some 32 bit OS, such as OS/2 or even Windows (yuck) in a virtual
    > machine. An example of where this is done, is in OS/2 v2 & later, where
    > you can install any version of DOS or even CP/M-86 in a virtual machine. I
    > believe the IBM big iron also supports this feature, for other operating
    > systems, including Linux. With virtual machines, you don't need any other
    > software, beyond the desired OS.

    VMware is a general purpose version of what OS2 had for DOS. Obviously
    any kind of virtual machine that ran under OS2 was a software only
    solution. OS2 was just bundling the virtual machine software with the OS,
    whereas in Linux you have to install VMware (or Win4Lin if Win9x is what
    you want to run), what's the difference?

  6. Re: Linux on a Laptop with 64bit CPU (Installation Report)

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:25:59 GMT, James Knott
    wrote:

    >General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> One thing I'm curious about, is whether those CPUs support 32 bit virtual
    >>> machines? If so, you could have several different operating systems
    >>> running on the same computer. For example, it would be nice if I could
    >>> run OS/2 on my Linux box without rebooting, instead of on another
    >>> computer.

    >> Check out VMWare, it allows you to run multiple OSes simultaneously. Don't
    >> know if the can host OS2, you'll have to check their website.

    >I'm aware of VMWARE and that's not what I was asking about. The AMD 64 bit
    >CPU supports running 32 bit code. It would be nice, if you could install a
    >copy of some 32 bit OS, such as OS/2 or even Windows (yuck) in a virtual
    >machine. An example of where this is done, is in OS/2 v2 & later, where
    >you can install any version of DOS or even CP/M-86 in a virtual machine. I
    >believe the IBM big iron also supports this feature, for other operating
    >systems, including Linux. With virtual machines, you don't need any other
    >software, beyond the desired OS.

    You still need software to setup and manage the virtual machines. The cpu
    doesn't "just doit". On the mainframes, the core OS supports these virtual
    machines. Same is true with OS/2. There has to be software there
    controlling the VM.

    JT

+ Reply to Thread