Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad - Portable ; I've got an IBM 701C "butterfly" thinkpad computer which I would like to use for web browsing, email, and usenet access. Currently it runs win95 and is very slow. I was thinking of installing Linux after having read that it ...

  1. Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad

    I've got an IBM 701C "butterfly" thinkpad computer which I would
    like to use for web browsing, email, and usenet access. Currently
    it runs win95 and is very slow. I was thinking of installing
    Linux after having read that it would give much better
    performance for the processor. However, after downloading
    vectorlinux, which I had read was a good optimized version, I
    read some of the discussions about it which suggested that it was
    only acceptable using 233 MHz pentiums.

    Is there a linux version people would recommend for this usage on
    a 75MHz 486 laptop?

    Bob

  2. Re: Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad

    Bob wrote:

    > Is there a linux version people would recommend for this usage on
    > a 75MHz 486 laptop?

    You can use any linux distro as long as you don't use KDE or Gnome but a
    lightweight window-manager such as fluxbox (a "better" version of blackbox).

    Regards,
    Stephan

  3. Re: Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:31:08 GMT, Bob wrote:
    > read some of the discussions about it which suggested that it was
    > only acceptable using 233 MHz pentiums.
    >
    > Is there a linux version people would recommend for this usage on
    > a 75MHz 486 laptop?

    I run Linux on a 701c with 24mb of ram. I started with Pygmy Linux, which is still
    available, though it's not longer being developed. Pygmy Linux was
    built from Slackware 7.1, I believe. I downloaded files from an older Slackware 7.1
    mirror for X and for compiling. A file in the distro, "PygmyHelp" has details.

    I'm able to run Icewm or Enlightenment (though it's a stretch here.)
    Downloaded Opera 6 for web browsing, Mutt for email comes with
    Pygmy, and I use slrn for usenet. All run pretty well on this old machine.

    HTH,

    Mike

    --
    Mb / <--==0 @
    / A

  4. Re: Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.questions.]
    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:31:08 GMT, Bob
    > wrote:
    > > I've got an IBM 701C "butterfly" thinkpad computer which I

    would
    > > like to use for web browsing, email, and usenet access.

    Currently
    > > it runs win95 and is very slow. I was thinking of installing
    > > Linux after having read that it would give much better
    > > performance for the processor. However, after downloading
    > > vectorlinux, which I had read was a good optimized version, I
    > > read some of the discussions about it which suggested that it

    was
    > > only acceptable using 233 MHz pentiums.
    > >
    > > Is there a linux version people would recommend for this

    usage on
    > > a 75MHz 486 laptop?
    > >

    > How much RAM does it have?

    24MB

    >Were you able to install VectorLinux?

    Waiting for further information.

    > If it has 16 MB or less, try a text-only installation of Debian

    or
    > Slackware. If it has more RAM, you might install X, but use a
    > lightweight window manager such as icewm, blackbox or

    WindowMaker.

    Thanks.

    Bob

  5. Re: Linux for 486-75 class thinkpad

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:31:08 GMT, Bob wrote:

    > I've got an IBM 701C "butterfly" thinkpad computer which I would
    > like to use for web browsing, email, and usenet access. Currently
    > it runs win95 and is very slow. I was thinking of installing
    > Linux after having read that it would give much better
    > performance for the processor. However, after downloading
    > vectorlinux, which I had read was a good optimized version, I
    > read some of the discussions about it which suggested that it was
    > only acceptable using 233 MHz pentiums.
    >
    > Is there a linux version people would recommend for this usage on
    > a 75MHz 486 laptop?

    Debian. Use something like Windowmaker for a GUI. Try and get more RAM for
    it.

    --
    "Changes have been made to critical system components. You must die
    and be reborn for changes to take effect."

+ Reply to Thread