Modem in Toshiba Tecra S1 - Portable

This is a discussion on Modem in Toshiba Tecra S1 - Portable ; Hi all! I've installed Debian Woody (and some packages from unstable) and Kernel 2.4.24 on the Tecra S1 of my colleague. But I have problems to get the modem to work. I read http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html , that is listed at tuxmobil.org ...

  1. Modem in Toshiba Tecra S1

    Hi all!

    I've installed Debian Woody (and some packages from unstable)
    and Kernel 2.4.24 on the Tecra S1 of my colleague. But I have
    problems to get the modem to work. I read
    http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html, that is listed
    at tuxmobil.org and followed the instructions to download
    slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz, edit amrmo_init.c and installed it.
    works. Yes, I know, this taints the kernel. But my colleague
    thinks about migrating from Win to Linux and asked me to
    install Linux on her laptop. Not to have a working modem will
    prevent her from working with linux (she has no desktop PC).
    Calling 'pon' after loading the modules, the following is
    printed in syslog:

    Jan 6 20:15:27 debian kernel: This driver is not compatible
    with the installed modem codec
    Jan 6 20:15:27 debian kernel: Please contact your modem
    provider for support

    Contacting Toshiba lead to a talk with a technician who
    installed the modem successfully.
    Does anybody have an idea how to get the modem to work
    (though these modules taint the kernel)?

    TIA!

    Best regards,

    Christoph

  2. Re: Modem in Toshiba Tecra S1

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:24:42 +0100, Christoph Bier wrote:

    >Hi all!
    >
    >I've installed Debian Woody (and some packages from unstable)
    >and Kernel 2.4.24 on the Tecra S1 of my colleague. But I have
    >problems to get the modem to work. I read
    >http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html, that is listed
    >at tuxmobil.org and followed the instructions to download
    >slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz, edit amrmo_init.c and installed it.
    >works. Yes, I know, this taints the kernel. But my colleague
    >thinks about migrating from Win to Linux and asked me to
    >install Linux on her laptop. Not to have a working modem will
    >prevent her from working with linux (she has no desktop PC).
    > Calling 'pon' after loading the modules, the following is
    >printed in syslog:
    >
    >Jan 6 20:15:27 debian kernel: This driver is not compatible
    >with the installed modem codec
    >Jan 6 20:15:27 debian kernel: Please contact your modem
    >provider for support
    >
    >Contacting Toshiba lead to a talk with a technician who
    >installed the modem successfully.
    > Does anybody have an idea how to get the modem to work
    >(though these modules taint the kernel)?

    I get the same error messages on my IBM R40, but the modem
    _does_ work nonetheless!

    What problems are you seeing beyond the error messages?

    Bill
    ---------------------------------------
    William D Waddington
    Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
    csbwaddington@att.net
    waddington@tahomatech.com
    william.waddington@beezmo.com
    ---------------------------------------

  3. Re: Modem in Toshiba Tecra S1

    William D. Waddington schrieb:

    [...]

    > I get the same error messages on my IBM R40, but the modem
    > _does_ work nonetheless!
    >
    > What problems are you seeing beyond the error messages?

    No more error messages, I could fix the problem with a recent
    version of slmodem found on ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported/
    as I already wrote on the Mailinglist. I thought this newsgroup was
    just an archiv for the mailinglist linux-laptop@mobilix.org. But my
    last email does not yet appear in this newsgroup. Maybe later ...?!?

    Best regards and thanks for your answer!

    Christoph

+ Reply to Thread