Need for cpufreq on Pentium-M? - Portable

This is a discussion on Need for cpufreq on Pentium-M? - Portable ; Hi! I've compiled the cpufreq patch into my kernel (running on an Asus M2400N). Together with cpudyn this works real fine for my. Now friends told me that they aren't using cpufreq but the CPU throtteling works fine even though. ...

  1. Need for cpufreq on Pentium-M?

    Hi!

    I've compiled the cpufreq patch into my kernel (running on an Asus
    M2400N). Together with cpudyn this works real fine for my. Now friends
    told me that they aren't using cpufreq but the CPU throtteling works fine
    even though.

    So here's my question: Is there a need for cpufreq on a Pentium-M or does
    the integrated Speedstep everything itself - OS-independent? Where are the
    advanteges of cpufreq then?

    Thanks for your help,
    Julius

  2. Re: Need for cpufreq on Pentium-M?

    Julius Stiebert wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I've compiled the cpufreq patch into my kernel (running on an Asus
    > M2400N). Together with cpudyn this works real fine for my. Now friends
    > told me that they aren't using cpufreq but the CPU throtteling works fine
    > even though.
    >
    > So here's my question: Is there a need for cpufreq on a Pentium-M or does
    > the integrated Speedstep everything itself - OS-independent? Where are the
    > advanteges of cpufreq then?

    The kernel itself does not change the frequency according to the CPU
    usage. You have to use cpufreq or powernowd
    (http://www.deater.net/john/powernowd.html)

    On my Pentium-M I'm using powernowd because it's much easier to use than
    cpufreq and does the job equally well.

    Regards,
    Stephan

+ Reply to Thread