Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels - Portable

This is a discussion on Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels - Portable ; Hi all, Does anyone know whether Alan Cox is still patching the 2.4 kernels for PnP BIOS. The latest I have is 2.4.22-ac4. Now that the 2.4 kernel is up 2.4.24, with no sign of the PnP BIOS in them, ...

  1. Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know whether Alan Cox is still patching the 2.4 kernels
    for PnP BIOS. The latest I have is 2.4.22-ac4.

    Now that the 2.4 kernel is up 2.4.24, with no sign of the PnP BIOS in
    them, I feel trapped at 2.4.22. I do not wish to move to 2.6 until the
    situation stabilises.

    Is the PnP BIOS option absolutely necessary. I see that Thomas Hood uses
    2.4.23 (when I last checked).

    If I upgrade, will I be able to use tpctl and/or pcmcia?

    Cheers.
    --
    Tony

  2. Re: Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels

    S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
    > Hi all,

    > Does anyone know whether Alan Cox is still patching the 2.4 kernels
    > for PnP BIOS. The latest I have is 2.4.22-ac4.

    > Now that the 2.4 kernel is up 2.4.24, with no sign of the PnP BIOS in
    > them, I feel trapped at 2.4.22. I do not wish to move to 2.6 until the
    > situation stabilises.

    > Is the PnP BIOS option absolutely necessary. I see that Thomas Hood uses
    > 2.4.23 (when I last checked).

    > If I upgrade, will I be able to use tpctl and/or pcmcia?

    You can build a PnP BIOS module for 2.4.* kernels from the pcmcia-cs
    package.

    Configure the pcmcia-cs package, then in the modules directory, do
    "make pnp.o". That's all. Loading the pnp.o module will give you a
    /proc/bus/pnp directory.

    - Dave

  3. Re: Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 02:29:17 +0000, dhinds penned:

    > S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
    >> Hi all,

    >> Does anyone know whether Alan Cox is still patching the 2.4 kernels for
    >> PnP BIOS. The latest I have is 2.4.22-ac4.

    >> Now that the 2.4 kernel is up 2.4.24, with no sign of the PnP BIOS in
    >> them, I feel trapped at 2.4.22. I do not wish to move to 2.6 until the
    >> situation stabilises.

    >> Is the PnP BIOS option absolutely necessary. I see that Thomas Hood
    >> uses 2.4.23 (when I last checked).

    >> If I upgrade, will I be able to use tpctl and/or pcmcia?

    > You can build a PnP BIOS module for 2.4.* kernels from the pcmcia-cs
    > package.
    >
    > Configure the pcmcia-cs package, then in the modules directory, do "make
    > pnp.o". That's all. Loading the pnp.o module will give you a
    > /proc/bus/pnp directory.
    >
    > - Dave

    Whoo, fantastic. I saw some reference to this somewhere on the net,
    without specific details. Thank you for the info.

    Regards.
    --
    Tony

  4. Re: Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:<14pKb.6840$XF6.150549@typhoon.sonic.net>...
    > S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    > > Does anyone know whether Alan Cox is still patching the 2.4 kernels
    > > for PnP BIOS. The latest I have is 2.4.22-ac4.

    > > Now that the 2.4 kernel is up 2.4.24, with no sign of the PnP BIOS in
    > > them, I feel trapped at 2.4.22. I do not wish to move to 2.6 until the
    > > situation stabilises.

    > > Is the PnP BIOS option absolutely necessary. I see that Thomas Hood uses
    > > 2.4.23 (when I last checked).

    > > If I upgrade, will I be able to use tpctl and/or pcmcia?

    > You can build a PnP BIOS module for 2.4.* kernels from the pcmcia-cs
    > package.
    >
    > Configure the pcmcia-cs package, then in the modules directory, do
    > "make pnp.o". That's all. Loading the pnp.o module will give you a
    > /proc/bus/pnp directory.
    >
    > - Dave

    Forgive my ignorance. I have built pnp.o, but cannot load it. Does
    it need to be in the lib/modukles/kernel directory hierarchy? If so
    where. There is no install rule in the Makefile in the modules
    directory. Hmm, maybe there is one in the top level Makefile, I'll
    check when I get home.

    I tried various combinations of modprobe (./|path/)pnp(.o).

    Cheers.

  5. Re: Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels

    tony@sequeira.com (S. Anthony Sequeira) writes:
    > Forgive my ignorance. I have built pnp.o, but cannot load it. Does
    > it need to be in the lib/modukles/kernel directory hierarchy? If so
    > where.

    For modprobe, you need to place it in some subdirectory of the
    /lib/modules/KERNELNAME/ directory (e.g. "local" or "misc") and run depmod.

    Or you can use insmod on a pathname (but it won't load dependencies
    automatically).

    --
    Eric C. Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

  6. Re: Alan Cox 2.4 PNP BIOS kernels

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:55:54 -0500, Eric C. Cooper penned:

    > tony@sequeira.com (S. Anthony Sequeira) writes:
    >> Forgive my ignorance. I have built pnp.o, but cannot load it. Does
    >> it need to be in the lib/modukles/kernel directory hierarchy? If so
    >> where.

    > For modprobe, you need to place it in some subdirectory of the
    > /lib/modules/KERNELNAME/ directory (e.g. "local" or "misc") and run depmod.
    >
    > Or you can use insmod on a pathname (but it won't load dependencies
    > automatically).

    Cheers.
    --
    Tony