PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive - Portable

This is a discussion on PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive - Portable ; PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive. Is this possible? Do I need a cable adaptor to go from PCMCIA to ATA/EIDE?...

  1. PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive

    PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive. Is this possible? Do I need a cable adaptor
    to go from PCMCIA to ATA/EIDE?

  2. Re: PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive

    On 5 Jan 2004 10:30:37 -0800, Brian Farmer staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive. Is this possible?

    Elaborate, please. What is it you really want? I think it'd be pretty
    easy to buy a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, buy a USB 2.0 hard drive cage, stick
    any size drive you want into the cage, and wire everything together.
    That should Just Work provided you're using a kernel >= 2.4.18. You
    probably won't be able to boot from the USB drive though.

    > Do I need a cable adaptor to go from PCMCIA to ATA/EIDE?

    I don't know of any PCMCIA cards that provide an interface for plugging
    in a standard IDE cable, but the SUPPORTED-CARDS list in a recent
    pcmcia-cs distribution tells me they exist. The hardware may be hard to
    find/obsolete though, while a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card is about $20 according
    to pricewatch.com . Your call, HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: PCMCIA to 60GB Hard Drive

+ Reply to Thread