TP600E hibernate partition - Portable

This is a discussion on TP600E hibernate partition - Portable ; Hi, From what I have read it is possible to create a hibernation partition and use it in Linux, without the use of a DOS/Win installation. Assuming so, how big should such a partition be? TP600E with 192MB RAM. Any ...

  1. TP600E hibernate partition

    Hi,

    From what I have read it is possible to create a hibernation partition
    and use it in Linux, without the use of a DOS/Win installation.

    Assuming so, how big should such a partition be? TP600E with 192MB RAM.

    Any resources that I can study please?

    Cheers
    --
    Tony

  2. Re: TP600E hibernate partition

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:54:12 +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:
    > From what I have read it is possible to create a hibernation partition
    > and use it in Linux, without the use of a DOS/Win installation.

    Yep, you typically use a program called lphdisk . This is at
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/lphdis...c_id=861%2C147 , but it only
    works if your laptop's BIOS is appropriate. The "tested" page at
    lphdisk's homepage doesn't list the Thinkpad 600E as tested, though... I
    guess you could back up everything and try it.

    > Assuming so, how big should such a partition be? TP600E with 192MB
    > RAM. Any resources that I can study please?

    The general rule is RAM + Video RAM + 2M .

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: TP600E hibernate partition

    "S. Anthony Sequeira" wrote:

    > From what I have read it is possible to create a hibernation partition
    > and use it in Linux, without the use of a DOS/Win installation.

    I think it's the same procedure as with tp600, tp7xx and many others.
    You have to create a fat partition (maxram + 2MB) somewhere on the
    drive. Then you have to use the ps2 utility from a dos floppy to create
    the hiberfile.

    170598400 2002-06-28 19:41 pm_hiber.bin

    Maybe it's possible to create the file ram+2mb with dd, the fileheader
    did not give enough info bout this. If the file is okay, the thinkpad
    jump to hibernate.

    gemini:/home/eric# more /mnt/pm_hiber.bin
    HBbq1"!APM_HIBERBIN`A!"wc1qb&aP@ba3q 9`p5b

    > Assuming so, how big should such a partition be? TP600E with 192MB
    > RAM.

    The ps2 util will create 194mb

    > Any resources that I can study please?

    Thomas Hood's Page about these laptops

    Bye Eric
    --
    Spam alike mails will be pre-filtered

  4. Re: TP600E hibernate partition

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:54:12 +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira penned:

    > Hi,
    >
    > From what I have read it is possible to create a hibernation partition and
    > use it in Linux, without the use of a DOS/Win installation.
    >
    > Assuming so, how big should such a partition be? TP600E with 192MB RAM.
    >
    > Any resources that I can study please?
    >
    > Cheers

    Thanks Matt and Eric,

    I'll answer this here, save an individual answer to each. I posted the
    same question to the Linux TP mailing list, and what I learned there is
    that the TP600E requires PS2.exe and a DOS boot floppy (or stiffy to South
    Africans). I'll read the docs and post the results of my adventures when
    done.

    Cheers
    --
    Tony

  5. Re: TP600E hibernate partition

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:28:15 +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira penned:

    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:54:12 +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira penned:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> From what I have read it is possible to create a hibernation partition and
    >> use it in Linux, without the use of a DOS/Win installation.
    >>
    >> Assuming so, how big should such a partition be? TP600E with 192MB RAM.
    >>
    >> Any resources that I can study please?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Thanks Matt and Eric,
    >
    > I'll answer this here, save an individual answer to each. I posted the
    > same question to the Linux TP mailing list, and what I learned there is
    > that the TP600E requires PS2.exe and a DOS boot floppy (or stiffy to South
    > Africans). I'll read the docs and post the results of my adventures when
    > done.
    >
    > Cheers

    Looks good. I created a 256MB DOS bootable partition. This took a while
    because I had to move my linux partitions around, a bit of an adventure
    all round.

    Installed DOS 6.22 on this partition, installed PS2.exe, created the
    hibernation file (I think the HFILE PS2 option). About 37MB left.

    And surprise, surprise, all worked well. Fn+F12 suspends good, and comes
    back OK too. Could do with some fine tuning, as could the RAM suspend,
    but will leave that till later. Just glad the concept is proven.

    Thanks for all the help.
    --
    Tony

+ Reply to Thread