two pcmcia nics at the same time - Portable

This is a discussion on two pcmcia nics at the same time - Portable ; Hi All, I have an older laptop (16 bit PCMCIA slots) with 3c589 NICs I want to make a router from this laptop and two 3c589 NICs, but when both NICs are in the slots one of the NICs doesn't ...

  1. two pcmcia nics at the same time

    Hi All,

    I have an older laptop (16 bit PCMCIA slots) with
    3c589 NICs
    I want to make a router from this laptop and two
    3c589 NICs, but when both NICs are in the slots one
    of the NICs doesn't work.
    When only one is inserted in any slot it works.
    I read in the PCMCIA HOWTO about resource conflict
    in that case but I can't find any.

    Here is some info from /proc and cardctl :

    /proc/interrupt

    CPU0
    0: 401984 XT-PIC timer
    1: 557 XT-PIC keyboard
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    3: 2 XT-PIC 3c589_cs
    5: 0 XT-PIC 3c589_cs
    6: 134 XT-PIC floppy
    8: 0 XT-PIC rtc
    NMI: 0
    ERR: 0

    /proc/ioport

    0000-001f : dma1
    0020-003f : pic1
    0040-005f : timer
    0060-006f : keyboard
    0070-007f : rtc
    0080-008f : dma page reg
    00a0-00bf : pic2
    00c0-00df : dma2
    00f0-00ff : fpu
    0300-030f : 3c589_cs
    0310-031f : 3c589_cs
    03c0-03df : vga+
    03e0-03e1 : i82365
    03f2-03f5 : floppy
    03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
    03f8-03ff : serial(auto)

    /proc/iomem

    00000000-0009efff : System RAM
    000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
    000d0000-000d0fff : card services
    000d1000-000d1fff : card services
    000e0000-000effff : Extension ROM
    000f0000-000fffff : System ROM
    00100000-013fffff : System RAM
    00100000-001ce983 : Kernel code
    001ce984-00202fbf : Kernel data

    cardctl config

    Socket 0:
    Vcc 5.0V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp2 0.0V
    interface type is "memory and I/O"
    irq 3 [exclusive] [level]
    function 0:
    config base 0x10000
    option 0x41 status 0x00
    io 0x0300-0x030f [16bit]
    Socket 1:
    Vcc 5.0V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp2 0.0V
    interface type is "memory and I/O"
    irq 5 [exclusive] [level]
    function 0:
    config base 0x10000
    option 0x41 status 0x00
    io 0x0310-0x031f [16bit]

    cardctl status

    Socket 0:
    5V 16-bit PC Card
    function 0: [ready]
    Socket 1:
    5V 16-bit PC Card
    function 0: [ready]

    cardctl ident

    Socket 0:
    product info: "3Com Corporation", "3C589", "TP/BNC LAN Card Ver. 2a",
    "000002"
    manfid: 0x0101, 0x0589
    function: 6 (network)
    Socket 1:
    product info: "3Com Corporation", "3C589D", "TP/BNC LAN Card Ver. 2a",
    "000002"
    manfid: 0x0101, 0x0589
    function: 6 (network)

    Could help maybe anybody how to find it and get to work in the same time
    both NICs?

    Thanks
    Czollli

  2. Re: two pcmcia nics at the same time

    Czollli wrote:

    > I have an older laptop (16 bit PCMCIA slots) with 3c589 NICs I want
    > to make a router from this laptop and two 3c589 NICs, but when both
    > NICs are in the slots one of the NICs doesn't work. When only one
    > is inserted in any slot it works. I read in the PCMCIA HOWTO about
    > resource conflict in that case but I can't find any.

    The HOWTO is pretty specific; it says:

    : Check the system log to see what resources are used by the
    : non-working card. Exclude these in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, and
    : restart the cardmgr daemon to reload the resource database.

    So, given this:

    > Socket 0:
    > irq 3 [exclusive] [level]
    > io 0x0300-0x030f [16bit]