Canadian Linux notebook supplier - Portable

This is a discussion on Canadian Linux notebook supplier - Portable ; There's a comany located in Mississauga Ontario, that sells notebook computers with Linux installed. Not only that, they reduce the price of any computer sold without Windows installed. Their URL is: http://www.angelcomputer.com/ The only connection I have with them, is ...

  1. Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    There's a comany located in Mississauga Ontario, that sells notebook
    computers with Linux installed. Not only that, they reduce the price of
    any computer sold without Windows installed. Their URL is:

    http://www.angelcomputer.com/

    The only connection I have with them, is they're located just a few blocks
    from my home.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  2. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    James Knott wrote:
    > There's a comany located in Mississauga Ontario, that sells notebook
    > computers with Linux installed. Not only that, they reduce the price of
    > any computer sold without Windows installed. Their URL is:
    >
    > http://www.angelcomputer.com/
    >
    > The only connection I have with them, is they're located just a few blocks
    > from my home.

    I briefly looked at angel computers when I was looking for my laptop, but I
    quickly discounted them and went with a Toshiba. I can't fault the quality of
    the Angel laptop, or the installation of Linux; what put me off of Angel is that
    the only distributer I could find was located in a seedy part of Toronto, across
    the street from a strip club, and the shop's doors were barred and locked when I
    went to see them on a business day. Not a good sign if the only Toronto
    distributer looks as if they run a pawnshop.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

  3. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    Quoth Lew Pitcher :
    > James Knott wrote:
    >> There's a comany located in Mississauga Ontario, that sells notebook
    >> computers with Linux installed. Not only that, they reduce the
    >> price of any computer sold without Windows installed. Their URL is:
    >> http://www.angelcomputer.com/
    >> The only connection I have with them, is they're located just a few
    >> blocks from my home.

    > I briefly looked at angel computers when I was looking for my
    > laptop, but I quickly discounted them and went with a Toshiba. I
    > can't fault the quality of the Angel laptop, or the installation of
    > Linux; what put me off of Angel is that the only distributer I could
    > find was located in a seedy part of Toronto, across the street from
    > a strip club, and the shop's doors were barred and locked when I
    > went to see them on a business day. Not a good sign if the only
    > Toronto distributer looks as if they run a pawnshop.

    It's in Mississauga, and within spitting distance of the airport; what
    else would you expect?

    In that region, about every third business is either a strip club or a
    massage parlor; apparently the relevant laws are more liberal there
    than in any of the rest of Toronto, and it appears airline staff need
    such services in droves... (Or, more likely, they drive their
    passengers to need it... "I survived that flight; must celebrate with
    strippers...") :-)
    --
    (format nil "~S@~S" "aa454" "freenet.carleton.ca")
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html

  4. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    Christopher Browne wrote:

    > Quoth Lew Pitcher :
    >
    >>James Knott wrote:
    >>
    >>>There's a comany located in Mississauga Ontario, that sells notebook
    >>>computers with Linux installed. Not only that, they reduce the
    >>>price of any computer sold without Windows installed. Their URL is:
    >>>http://www.angelcomputer.com/
    >>>The only connection I have with them, is they're located just a few
    >>>blocks from my home.

    >>I briefly looked at angel computers when I was looking for my
    >>laptop, but I quickly discounted them and went with a Toshiba. I
    >>can't fault the quality of the Angel laptop, or the installation of
    >>Linux; what put me off of Angel is that the only distributer I could
    >>find was located in a seedy part of Toronto, across the street from
    >>a strip club, and the shop's doors were barred and locked when I
    >>went to see them on a business day. Not a good sign if the only
    >>Toronto distributer looks as if they run a pawnshop.

    > It's in Mississauga, and within spitting distance of the airport; what
    > else would you expect?

    Well, Angel might be in Mississauga, but their /Toronto distributor/ was on
    the south side of Queen Street West, just west of the DVP, a block or so
    away from Jilly's (the strip club), and across the street from some bar
    advertising Tuesday Night Ladies Mud Wrestling. I wasn't impressed by the
    neighbourhood or the bars on the windows and doors of the office.

    In any case, it wasn't Angel that put me off, it was the Toronto
    distributor. An Angel notebook was my *first* choice in a Linux laptop.

  5. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:22:12 -0500, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Well, Angel might be in Mississauga, but their /Toronto distributor/ was on
    > the south side of Queen Street West, just west of the DVP,

    Hmm. The last time I was in Toronto the DVP (Don Valley Parkway) was on
    the *east* side of Toronto. Queen Street West is a rather funky district
    on the other side of the city.

    Bob T.

  6. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Christopher Browne wrote:
    >
    >> Quoth Lew Pitcher :

    >>> I briefly looked at angel computers when I was looking for my
    >>> laptop, but I quickly discounted them and went with a Toshiba. I
    >>> can't fault the quality of the Angel laptop, or the installation of
    >>> Linux; what put me off of Angel is that the only distributer I could
    >>> find was located in a seedy part of Toronto, across the street from
    >>> a strip club, and the shop's doors were barred and locked when I
    >>> went to see them on a business day. Not a good sign if the only
    >>> Toronto distributer looks as if they run a pawnshop.

    >> It's in Mississauga, and within spitting distance of the airport; what
    >> else would you expect?

    > Well, Angel might be in Mississauga, but their /Toronto distributor/ was
    > on the south side of Queen Street West, just west of the DVP, a block or

    Correction: the south side of Queen Street /East/, just /east/ of the DVP

    (Left hand, meet Right Hand. Right Hand, meet Left Hand :-) )

  7. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > I briefly looked at angel computers when I was looking for my laptop, but
    > I quickly discounted them and went with a Toshiba. I can't fault the
    > quality of the Angel laptop, or the installation of Linux; what put me off
    > of Angel is that the only distributer I could find was located in a seedy
    > part of Toronto, across the street from a strip club, and the shop's doors
    > were barred and locked when I went to see them on a business day. Not a
    > good sign if the only Toronto distributer looks as if they run a pawnshop.

    Did you try their Mississauga location? It's just off the 401, near Hwy 10.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  8. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    Christopher Browne wrote:

    > It's in Mississauga, and within spitting distance of the airport; what
    > else would you expect?
    >
    > In that region, about every third business is either a strip club or a
    > massage parlor; apparently the relevant laws are more liberal there
    > than in any of the rest of Toronto, and it appears airline staff need
    > such services in droves... (Or, more likely, they drive their
    > passengers to need it... "I survived that flight; must celebrate with
    > strippers...") :-)

    Actually, it's a fair distance from the airport. I pass by both on my way
    to work each day. It's in an industrial district, on Britannia Rd., east
    of Hurontario (Hwy 10).

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  9. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    Lew> Well, Angel might be in Mississauga, but their /Toronto
    Lew> distributor/ was on the south side of Queen Street West, just
    Lew> west of the DVP, a block or so away from Jilly's (the strip
    Lew> club), and across the street from some bar advertising
    Lew> Tuesday Night Ladies Mud Wrestling. I wasn't impressed by the
    Lew> neighbourhood or the bars on the windows and doors of the
    Lew> office.

    sheesh. it's not as if anyone asked you to go in. no wonder people
    think torontonians and their city are a tad boring. in my (montreal)
    quartier, the scotia bank is next to a strip club and the grocery is
    but a block away. should we boycott them.

    --
    garglemonster@my-deja.com

    Then I think: "Wowww! They have NICK CAVE dolls now? I WAAANT one.

  10. Re: Canadian Linux notebook supplier

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:35:59 +0100, James Knott wrote:

    > There's a comany located in Mississauga Ontario, that sells notebook
    > computers with Linux installed. Not only that, they reduce the price of
    > any computer sold without Windows installed. Their URL is:
    >
    > http://www.angelcomputer.com/

    You may find a (hopefully complete) survey of Linux laptop and PDA
    resellers (international) at http://tuxmobil.org/reseller.html

    Werner

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

+ Reply to Thread