Distro for 24MB Dell Latitude LM? - Portable

This is a discussion on Distro for 24MB Dell Latitude LM? - Portable ; I have an old 24MB 133 Mhz Dell Latitude LM with a 1.3GB hard drive. I'm currently running Windows NT 4.0 on it (no, it didn't ship that way and Dell doesn't support it). Stability and hard disk footprint are ...

  1. Distro for 24MB Dell Latitude LM?

    I have an old 24MB 133 Mhz Dell Latitude LM with a 1.3GB hard drive. I'm
    currently running Windows NT 4.0 on it (no, it didn't ship that way and Dell
    doesn't support it). Stability and hard disk footprint are good, but it
    memory pages all the time, and I don't think there's support for laptop
    power management features. I'm toying with the latter, I'm currently
    missing the suspend-to-disk file, but bad memory paging certainly isn't
    going away.

    So I thought, gee, can Linux do any better? Here are my goals, no point in
    bothering unless these can be fulfilled:

    - no paging. That's *THE* goal. Must work with my 24MB RAM. NT 4.0 would
    probably run fine with more RAM

    - low hard drive footprint. For instance, I attempted to install Redhat 8.0
    a few months ago, but it was such a hard drive pig for its basic
    configurations that I gave up.

    - do POP e-mail and news (that's easy)

    - do web browsing in a way that's acceptably compatible with the graphical,
    IE-centric world. Mostly I surf the web to gather information, I don't care
    about streaming multimedia and so forth. I think all I'm really saying is,
    a plain text browser like Lynx is unacceptable.

    Ok, so what Linux distro would make these goals less painful to accomplish?
    Do I really have to run a X server to fulfil these goals? That's a source
    of a lot of bloat. Is there such a thing as a web browser that's graphical
    but doesn't require X11?

    Thanks,
    Brandon Van Every

  2. Re: Distro for 24MB Dell Latitude LM?

    Brandon Van Every wrote:
    > I have an old 24MB 133 Mhz Dell Latitude LM with a 1.3GB hard drive. I'm

    Depending on the expertice there are many solutions.

    Question: Does it have a CD-ROM drive?
    Can it boot from that drive?
    If not, how about with floppy drives?

    > - no paging. That's *THE* goal. Must work with my 24MB RAM. NT 4.0 would

    IMHO, you can have X and run a lean window manager like flux-box
    and a graphical browser without paging.

    > probably run fine with more RAM

    For sure!

    > - low hard drive footprint. For instance, I attempted to install Redhat 8.0
    > a few months ago, but it was such a hard drive pig for its basic
    > configurations that I gave up.

    The distributions I know, SuSE and Slackware, both will go. In
    case of SuSE say "Minmal Installation with Graphical ...".
    Slackware is 'course leaner.

    > - do web browsing in a way that's acceptably compatible with the graphical,

    As I wrote earlier, you might be able to run the real thing X!

    Otherwise links? with VGA graphics.

    > a plain text browser like Lynx is unacceptable.

    pity

    So Slackware will do. Debian too I suppose.

    Arun.

  3. Re: Distro for 24MB Dell Latitude LM?

    Arun Dev wrote:
    > Brandon Van Every wrote:
    >> I have an old 24MB 133 Mhz Dell Latitude LM with a 1.3GB hard drive.
    >> I'm

    > Depending on the expertice there are many solutions.
    >
    > Question: Does it have a CD-ROM drive?

    Yes, an ATAPI drive.

    > Can it boot from that drive?

    No.

    > If not, how about with floppy drives?

    Yes, I have an externally attachable A: drive. I have no problem using a
    MSDOS boot disk with a standard ATAPI driver on it. IIRC I previously
    attempted to install Vector and Redhat in this way. From this standpoint,
    both worked fine... I gave up for other reasons.

    >> - no paging. That's *THE* goal. Must work with my 24MB RAM. NT
    >> 4.0 would

    > IMHO, you can have X and run a lean window manager like flux-box
    > and a graphical browser without paging.
    >
    >> probably run fine with more RAM

    > For sure!

    And it turns out that my desire to "use what I've got" is more than just
    aesthetic. Practically speaking, it may be difficult to obtain EDO laptop
    memory. The local laptop-centric place said it's hard to find nowadays.

    > The distributions I know, SuSE and Slackware, both will go. In
    > case of SuSE say "Minmal Installation with Graphical ...".
    > Slackware is 'course leaner.
    >
    > So Slackware will do. Debian too I suppose.

    I tried Vector the other month. Got bored with futzing with installation
    options, there was a lot of picky stuff I had to know in detail about my
    laptop. I have a stronger stomach now, having recently restored my 486/66
    to health! But, of the available low footprint options, which has the least
    painful install?

    --
    Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA