TuxMobil News 12/2003 - Portable

This is a discussion on TuxMobil News 12/2003 - Portable ; Hello, the last TuxMobil News digest for 2003[1] has again good news for Linux PDA, mobile phone and laptop users. Here is an extract of the most important messages. Werner Heuser |=| The ndiswrapper[2] now supports Intel's WLAN PRO/Wireless 2100 ...

  1. TuxMobil News 12/2003

    Hello,

    the last TuxMobil News digest for 2003[1] has again good news
    for Linux PDA, mobile phone and laptop users. Here is an
    extract of the most important messages.

    Werner Heuser

    |=| The ndiswrapper[2] now supports Intel's WLAN PRO/Wireless 2100 chipset,
    which is part of their Centrino(TM) technology[3]. Besides the
    commercial DriverLoader[4] from Linuxant therefore an Open Source
    solution is also available.

    |=| Element Computer offers a TabletPC[5] pre-equipped with the
    Lycoris Desktop/LX Tablet Edition for Linux[6]. This is the second
    commercial TabletPC with Linux, since the one made by
    PaceBlade[7]. More about Linux on TabletPCs is at TuxMobil[8].

    |=| Linux on cell phones is still becoming more and more popular.
    Japan's #1 cellular carrier NTT DoCoMo has adopted Linux for 3G phones[9].
    Samsung debuts Linux-powered smartphone in China[10]. A Chinese company
    based in Shanghai named 'E28' has quietly been selling Linux-based
    smartphones in China since August[11]. And SDG-Systems provides
    a driver for the Pretec GPRS CF-Card for the Zaurus and Yopy Linux PDAs.
    More about Linux on and with mobile cell phones at TuxMobil[13].

    |=| TuxMobil has got the first report about Linux on a laptop
    with 64-bit CPU[14]. A Xeron Sonic Pro 800MX with an AMD64 chip.

    [1] http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_news_2003_12.html
    [2] http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
    [3] http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html
    [4] http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/
    [5] http://www.elementcomputer.com/
    [6] http://www.lycoris.com/
    [7] http://xtops.de/xtops_paceblade.html
    [8] http://tuxmobil.org/tablet_unix.html
    [9] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8011783890.html
    [10] http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4481058519.html
    [11] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5033717348.html
    [12] http://www.sdgsystems.com/catalog/
    [13] http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html
    [14] http://tuxmobil.org/xeron_sonic_pro_800mx.html

    You may find the daily TuxMobil News RSS/XML channel, the archiv and
    a news submission form at http://tuxmobil.org/newsfeed.html

  2. Re: TuxMobil News 12/2003

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:35:15 +0100, Werner Heuser wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    > the last TuxMobil News digest for 2003[1] has again good news
    > for Linux PDA, mobile phone and laptop users. Here is an
    > extract of the most important messages.
    >
    > Werner Heuser
    >
    >|=| The ndiswrapper[2] now supports Intel's WLAN PRO/Wireless 2100 chipset,
    > which is part of their Centrino(TM) technology[3]. Besides the
    > commercial DriverLoader[4] from Linuxant therefore an Open Source
    > solution is also available.

    Hi Werner!

    Thanks for the ndiswrapper link! I followed it, built ndiswrapper, launched
    it w/ the .sys and .inf files from the IBM R40 Centrino Intel Pro 2100 driver
    for XP, used neat (RH 9) to configure, and I'm up and running wireless

    I think I'll post this again as a separate subject to make it easier to find.
    (Pretty embarassing if I'm the only one who didn't already know about this).

    Thanks again,
    Bill
    William D Waddington
    Bainbridge Island, WA, USA