Linux on Thinkpad 560 & 560x - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on Thinkpad 560 & 560x - Portable ; Problem: How to load linux on Thinkpad 560, 560E & 560x Why: The 560 series of Thinkpads are relatively small laptops with a good LCD screen. You can pick up a 560E for around $75 and a 560X for around ...

  1. Linux on Thinkpad 560 & 560x

    Problem: How to load linux on Thinkpad 560, 560E & 560x

    Why: The 560 series of Thinkpads are relatively small laptops with a
    good LCD screen. You can pick up a 560E for around $75 and a 560X
    for around $150, so they are cheap. The problem is that the 560 series
    does not boot from CDROM, although it does boot from a floppy.
    The 560 is attachable to a CDROM by way of a PCMCIA card.

    Requirements: 560, 560E, or 560x; floppy drive; PCMCIA IDE card;
    CDROM attachable to PCMCIA IDE card; network card.

    Solution: Use Mandrake. On the Mandrake CDROM, there are images for a
    a boot floppy with PCMCIA support. Burn the Mandrake CDROMs, build
    the PCMCIA boot floppy. Boot with the floppy with the CDROM attached to the
    PCMCIA card and the Mandrake installation in the CDROM.

    Mandrake's installation program takes it from there, including
    partitioning the drive. Everything autodetects (including any
    wireless card) EXCEPT: (1) video and (2) soundcard.

    On the video, I manually configured my 560x as a NeoMagic with 800x600
    resolution and 16 bit color. It worked fine.

    The soundcard is still an issue.

    Booting is very slow.

  2. Re: Linux on Thinkpad 560 & 560x

    Ray> Problem: How to load linux on Thinkpad 560, 560E & 560x

    Ray> Why: The 560 series of Thinkpads are relatively small laptops
    Ray> with a good LCD screen. You can pick up a 560E for around
    Ray> $75 and a 560X for around $150, so they are cheap. The
    Ray> problem is that the 560 series does not boot from CDROM,
    Ray> although it does boot from a floppy. The 560 is attachable
    Ray> to a CDROM by way of a PCMCIA card.

    or through a pcmcia ethernet card to a network, where you have more
    options.

    Ray> Requirements: 560, 560E, or 560x; floppy drive; PCMCIA IDE
    Ray> card; CDROM attachable to PCMCIA IDE card; network card.

    Ray> Solution: Use Mandrake. On the Mandrake CDROM, there are
    Ray> images for a a boot floppy with PCMCIA support. Burn the
    Ray> Mandrake CDROMs, build the PCMCIA boot floppy. Boot with the
    Ray> floppy with the CDROM attached to the PCMCIA card and the
    Ray> Mandrake installation in the CDROM.

    my 560z runs slackware, which has also has boot floppies with pcmcia
    modules. i doubt that it would be very hard to put debian on it
    either.

    Ray> Mandrake's installation program takes it from there,
    Ray> including partitioning the drive. Everything autodetects
    Ray> (including any wireless card) EXCEPT: (1) video and (2)
    Ray> soundcard.

    Ray> The soundcard is still an issue.

    google is your friend

    --
    garglemonster@my-deja.com

    I'm a nuclear submarine under the polar ice cap and I need a Kleenex!

+ Reply to Thread