ifplugd working? - Portable

This is a discussion on ifplugd working? - Portable ; Does anyone here use ifplugd? Successfully? I have an LFS installation on a thinkpad, for which I want to run certain network daemons, only when my ethernet link is up. ifplugd seems to work on startup (brings up the daemons), ...

  1. ifplugd working?

    Does anyone here use ifplugd? Successfully?

    I have an LFS installation on a thinkpad, for which I want to run
    certain network daemons, only when my ethernet link is up.

    ifplugd seems to work on startup (brings up the daemons), but I cannot get
    it to (a) shutdown, or (b) bring down the daemons.

    I'm not a C programmer, but I'm attempting to feel my way through the
    code. My free time is limited however and it's a long and painful process.

    Any ideas? I have emailed the package creator, no response yet. I
    thought I may be able to get an answer now so I can get on with
    configuring my laptop during the holidays.

    Cheers.
    --
    Tony

  2. Re: ifplugd working?

    "S. Anthony Sequeira" schrieb:

    > Does anyone here use ifplugd? Successfully?

    Yes but the prog is no delight. It succesfully switch up and down my
    3com NIC on my thinkpad, but with incredible effects.

    > ifplugd seems to work on startup (brings up the daemons), but I cannot
    > get it to (a) shutdown, or (b) bring down the daemons.

    Here too, the running daemons seems to block bringing down the link.
    Without NIC the ifplugd produce heavy harddisk actions while running
    around without a reason.

    > Any ideas? I have emailed the package creator, no response yet. I

    The linux-mag told me that ifplugd was a test and will soon be replaced
    by the netplugd project.

    Bye Eric
    --
    Frohes neues Jahr! Spam alike mails will be pre-filtered

  3. Re: ifplugd working?

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:12:46 +0100, Eric Wick penned:

    > "S. Anthony Sequeira" schrieb:
    >
    >> Does anyone here use ifplugd? Successfully?

    > Yes but the prog is no delight. It succesfully switch up and down my 3com
    > NIC on my thinkpad, but with incredible effects.
    >
    >> ifplugd seems to work on startup (brings up the daemons), but I cannot
    >> get it to (a) shutdown, or (b) bring down the daemons.

    > Here too, the running daemons seems to block bringing down the link.
    > Without NIC the ifplugd produce heavy harddisk actions while running
    > around without a reason.
    >
    >> Any ideas? I have emailed the package creator, no response yet. I

    > The linux-mag told me that ifplugd was a test and will soon be replaced by
    > the netplugd project.
    >

    > Bye Eric

    Thanks for that. I spent enough time assuming it was *my* scripts
    problem. I have already started playing with netplugd (well compiling and
    setting it up to my liking).

    The problem I had with it (ifplugd) is that it wouldn't return on a
    successful startup, unless the last (I assume, I wasted enough time on it)
    failed in some way and returned a non zero exit code. And if it didn't
    return successfully, the stop function failed.

    Anyway, there go my holidays.

    Appreciate the answer.
    --
    Tony