detecting CPU events - Portable

This is a discussion on detecting CPU events - Portable ; I have a laptop with P4-M 1.8GHz CPU. The OS can change its frequency to save power, but also, the CPU can turn itself down automatically (not just the frequency, but some functionality) in case of overheating. Is there any ...

  1. detecting CPU events

    I have a laptop with P4-M 1.8GHz CPU. The OS can change its frequency
    to save power, but also, the CPU can turn itself down automatically (not just the
    frequency, but some functionality) in case of overheating. Is there any
    way for me to get a message about it (in the system log, for example) ?

  2. Re: detecting CPU events

    MSG wrote:
    > I have a laptop with P4-M 1.8GHz CPU. The OS can change its frequency
    > to save power, but also, the CPU can turn itself down automatically (not just the
    > frequency, but some functionality) in case of overheating. Is there any
    > way for me to get a message about it (in the system log, for example) ?

    Intel SpeedStep is an ACPI thing. ACPI is still in its infancy in
    Linux, although the 2.6 kernels will be better at it. I'm not sure
    they'll have the kind of logging feature you want, though.

+ Reply to Thread