Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working - Portable

This is a discussion on Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working - Portable ; Hello all, I have a problem with a Realtek 8139 PCMCIA card (a Planet ENF-3504FC) which I'd like to get to work on my laptop. Here's what I did: - Downloaded the rtl8139 driver source code from http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html . - ...

  1. Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    Hello all,

    I have a problem with a Realtek 8139 PCMCIA card (a Planet ENF-3504FC)
    which I'd like to get to work on my laptop. Here's what I did:

    - Downloaded the rtl8139 driver source code from
    http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html.

    - Compiled it, getting rtl8139.o and pci-scan.o, as described in the
    installation instructions.

    - Installed it using
    install -m 644 pci-scan.o driver.o /lib/modules/2.4.18/net

    - Then I went on and created the file /etc/modutils/rtl8139 with the
    contents

    alias eth0 rtl8139

    and did an update-modules.

    - And finally, I opened /etc/pcmcia/config-2.4 and added

    device "rtl8139"
    class "network" module "rtl8139"

    card "Planet ENW-3504FC"
    version "Realtek", "Rtl8139"
    bind "rtl8139"

    I got the info about the card version by using cardctl ident 0.

    However, it doesn't work very good. If I insert the card, it is not
    automatically recognized. I have to use "modprobe rtl8139" manually
    for the module to get loaded, but even after the module is loaded
    correctly I cannot use the card and dhclient is unable to assign it an
    IP address. ifconfig displays the card as eth0 but without an IP
    address. Another PCMCIA ethernet card (NE2000 compatible), however,
    works fine, but has only 10Mbits speed, which is too slow. Where did I
    make the mistake? Help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks a lot!

    Timo

    PS. Using Debian (Woody) Kernel 2.4.18 on a Sony Vaio PCG-SR31K

  2. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    On 19 Dec 2003 14:14:12 -0800, Timo staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Using Debian (Woody) Kernel 2.4.18 on a Sony Vaio PCG-SR31K
    > I have a problem with a Realtek 8139 PCMCIA card (a Planet ENF-3504FC)
    > http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html.

    If you're using the 2.4 series kernel, the module is called "8139too" or
    "8139cp" depending on the exact chipset. rtl8139 is for 2.2 kernels.

    > alias eth0 rtl8139

    I thought you said this was a PCMCIA card. There's no need to bugger
    about with modules.conf and all that; let the PCMCIA subsystem handle
    it. Are you using pcmcia_cs or the kernel PCMCIA system?

    > - And finally, I opened /etc/pcmcia/config-2.4 and added
    > device "rtl8139"
    > class "network" module "rtl8139"

    Nope. See above. This should be supported automagically in recent
    PCMCIA builds.

    > If I insert the card, it is not automatically recognized.

    Undo what you did to the PCMCIA configuration, make sure the 8139too and
    8139cp modules are available, try again?

    > use "modprobe rtl8139" manually for the module to get loaded

    Don't do that.

    > Another PCMCIA ethernet card (NE2000 compatible), however, works fine,
    > but has only 10Mbits speed, which is too slow.

    OK, it may not be the PCMCIA subsystem then. Try the right module and
    see what happens.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    Dances With Crows wrote
    > Undo what you did to the PCMCIA configuration, make sure the 8139too and
    > 8139cp modules are available, try again?

    OK, did that, changed the kernel configuration to include 8139too and
    recompiled. Now, if I insert the card, I get these messages in
    /var/log/messages:

    cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139
    PCI: Enabling device 02:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)
    8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.24
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 02:00.0 to 64
    eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xd08b5000, 00:30:4f:1a:78:91,
    IRQ9

    This, I think, means that the kernel recognizes the card. However, if
    I ask ifconfig, the card does not show up as eth0. If I start dhclient
    and then ask ifconfig again, the card shows up as eth0 but without an
    IP address configured, even though my /etc/pcmcia/network.opts looks
    like this:

    case "$ADDRESS" in
    *,*,*,*)
    ### other stuff ###
    DHCP="y"
    ### other stuff ###

    If I insert my other NE2000 compatible PCMCIA card, dhcp works fine,
    but with the RealTek one it doesn't. The system seems to treat these
    differently but I can't figure out how. Help greatly appreciated!

    Thanks a lot

    Timo

  4. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    Timo wrote:

    > cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139
    > PCI: Enabling device 02:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)
    > 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.24
    > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 02:00.0 to 64
    > eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xd08b5000, 00:30:4f:1a:78:91,
    > IRQ9

    > This, I think, means that the kernel recognizes the card. However, if
    > I ask ifconfig, the card does not show up as eth0.

    Because it was not configured. "ifconfig -a" would show it.

    > If I start dhclient
    > and then ask ifconfig again, the card shows up as eth0 but without an
    > IP address configured, even though my /etc/pcmcia/network.opts looks
    > like this:

    This card is being configured by the hotplug subsystem, not by the
    PCMCIA subsystem. The /etc/pcmcia scripts are not used. The hotplug
    scripts just try doing "ifup eth0", which will use your distribution's
    normal non-PCMCIA network configuration scripts.

    This does not explain why running "dhclient" manually did not work.
    Check your system log for additional error messages.

    -- Dave

  5. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...

    > This card is being configured by the hotplug subsystem, not by the
    > PCMCIA subsystem. The /etc/pcmcia scripts are not used. The hotplug
    > scripts just try doing "ifup eth0", which will use your distribution's
    > normal non-PCMCIA network configuration scripts.

    Okay. So what I did was adding the eth0 interface to
    /etc/network/interfaces by adding the lines

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    What happens now is that the card gets recognized and correctly
    autonegotiates speed and duplex mode - but the system now takes ages
    to start because there seems to be another problem. Apart from that,
    the interface sometimes shows up if I ask ifconfig and sometimes it
    doesn't, sometimes it even gets an IP address via dhcp, but I can't
    get it to do serious work and if I look at what ifconfig tells me it
    often shows errors or dropped packets for that interface. (It's not
    broken though - under Windows it runs just fine, sorry to say that).
    So my questions are:

    - Has anyone been able to use Realtek 8139 based PCMCIA cards under
    Linux?
    (I'd be pretty much astonished if not)
    - What log files, apart from /var/log/messages, tell me more about
    things going on with my network interfaces?
    - Could there be a possibility to have the "normal" PCMCIA subsystem
    handle
    this card? It's not obvious to me why a PCMCIA card is _not_
    handled by this subsystem...

    Thanx a lot,

    Timo

  6. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    Timo wrote:

    > - Has anyone been able to use Realtek 8139 based PCMCIA cards under
    > Linux?

    Yes, people do use these cards successfully.

    > - What log files, apart from /var/log/messages, tell me more about
    > things going on with my network interfaces?

    /var/log/messages should contain diagnostic messages from the driver.
    You are not getting any unusual messages?

    > - Could there be a possibility to have the "normal" PCMCIA subsystem
    > handle this card? It's not obvious to me why a PCMCIA card is _not_
    > handled by this subsystem...

    No. All CardBus cards are configured via the hotplug subsystem. The
    same socket driver is being used for 16-bit and CardBus cards, so in
    some sense, the "normal" PCMCIA subsystem is still involved.

    -- Dave

  7. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working [resolved]

    Well after diving deep into the Debian mailing lists I found the
    solution for this problem. I had to remove all power managemet from
    the kernel configuration and change an acpi setting in the bios. After
    that, the network card started working the way it's supposed to.
    Strange thing is, however, that afterwards I re-enabled power
    management and the bios setting and the network card still works. Very
    weird. But then, who said that computers were rational?

    greetz

    timo

  8. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:
    > Timo wrote:
    >

    >> - Has anyone been able to use Realtek 8139 based PCMCIA cards under
    >>Linux?

    > Yes, people do use these cards successfully.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > No. All CardBus cards are configured via the hotplug subsystem. The
    > same socket driver is being used for 16-bit and CardBus cards, so in
    > some sense, the "normal" PCMCIA subsystem is still involved.
    >
    > -- Dave

    I have a Sitecom branded 8139 based card, which I too have so far failed
    to get working.

    On first plugging in, YAST2 (SuSE 8.2 and 9) recognises the device for
    what it is (or so it seems) and offers eth-pcmcia as the driver, so far
    so good.

    However things never get further than that.

    cardinfo simply says its a cardbus card Type:1 with no other details
    (i/o addresses etc)

    Having had a look with cardctl I get the following responses.

    cardctl ident -> "Fast Ethernet Cardbus PC Card"

    cardctl status -> "3.3v Cardbus card....ready"

    So it seems to be being recognised. However

    ifconfig -a does not show it up

    and:-

    ifup eth-pcmcia eth0

    produces:=

    "interface eth0 is not available"

    Given that its being recognised I guess it must be a driver type issue.
    BTW it works fine under W2K;(

    Do I need to force a different driver, and if so how? YAST2 has a box
    for module details but it didn't seem to be writable.

    --
    Tim Nicholson

  9. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    TimN wrote:

    > I have a Sitecom branded 8139 based card, which I too have so far failed
    > to get working.

    > On first plugging in, YAST2 (SuSE 8.2 and 9) recognises the device for
    > what it is (or so it seems) and offers eth-pcmcia as the driver, so far
    > so good.

    > However things never get further than that.

    I can't help you with SuSE specific configuration stuff, but try just
    doing:

    modprobe 8139too

    and see whether 'ifconfig -a' works after that. There's a possibility
    that the 8139too driver doesn't recognize that your card is actually
    8139 based. If that's the case, you would need to talk to the driver
    maintainer about getting your card's PCI ID's added.

    -- Dave

  10. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:
    > TimN wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Sitecom branded 8139 based card, which I too have so far failed
    >>to get working.

    >>On first plugging in, YAST2 (SuSE 8.2 and 9) recognises the device for
    >>what it is (or so it seems) and offers eth-pcmcia as the driver, so far
    >>so good.

    >>However things never get further than that.

    > I can't help you with SuSE specific configuration stuff, but try just
    > doing:
    >
    > modprobe 8139too

    This produces a "no such device" error!

    however modprobe rtl8139 followed by ifconfig -a shows the card up as eth0!

    Following up on this I set up eth0 as an rtl8139 and the interface
    works, up to a point. Well in fact it works, but is not hotpluggable and
    trying to enable PCMCIA in KLaptop causes it to exit.

    Am I right in thinking that 8139too is the driver for PCMCIA (which
    hotlpug should start) and rtl8139 the "normal" PCI driver. (I had heard
    that rtl8139 was an old 2.2 module, but that doesn't seem to be so in my
    case.

    --
    Tim

  11. Re: Realtek 8139 PCMCIA Ethernet Card not working

    TimN wrote:

    > This produces a "no such device" error!
    > however modprobe rtl8139 followed by ifconfig -a shows the card up as eth0!

    > Following up on this I set up eth0 as an rtl8139 and the interface
    > works, up to a point. Well in fact it works, but is not hotpluggable and
    > trying to enable PCMCIA in KLaptop causes it to exit.

    I'm not sure what KLaptop does; PCMCIA was already running or else the
    card would not have been configured.

    > Am I right in thinking that 8139too is the driver for PCMCIA (which
    > hotlpug should start) and rtl8139 the "normal" PCI driver. (I had heard
    > that rtl8139 was an old 2.2 module, but that doesn't seem to be so in my
    > case.

    The 8139too driver is a normal PCI driver; for 2.4 kernels, these also
    support matching CardBus cards. I think the 8139too driver superceded
    the rtl8139 driver in the kernel tree; but Donald Becker still
    maintaines rtl8139.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread