IBM T30 won't shut down. - Portable

This is a discussion on IBM T30 won't shut down. - Portable ; Running Gentoo, 2.4.20-r9 kernel, on an IBM T30 Thinkpad. Whenever I shutdown, the computer restarts. Whether I click the "Turn off computer" option in the KDE logout applet, try "halt" or "shutdown -h now" at the console, makes no matter. ...

  1. IBM T30 won't shut down.

    Running Gentoo, 2.4.20-r9 kernel, on an IBM T30 Thinkpad. Whenever I
    shutdown, the computer restarts. Whether I click the "Turn off
    computer" option in the KDE logout applet, try "halt" or "shutdown -h now"
    at the console, makes no matter. The screen shows "Power down" for a
    second, then it reboots. I get only a restart. I tried looking at
    /etc/inittab, /sbin/shutdown, but don't know what to look for, I guess. The
    BIOS doesn't seem to show anything related to shutdown. Kernel has the APM
    stuff enabled. apmd is running. I've also googled, but can find nothing
    useful. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    --

  2. Re: IBM T30 won't shut down.

    edjlb wrote:

    > Running Gentoo, 2.4.20-r9 kernel, on an IBM T30 Thinkpad. Whenever I
    > shutdown, the computer restarts. Whether I click the "Turn off
    > computer" option in the KDE logout applet, try "halt" or "shutdown -h now"
    > at the console, makes no matter. The screen shows "Power down" for a
    > second, then it reboots. I get only a restart. I tried looking at
    > /etc/inittab, /sbin/shutdown, but don't know what to look for, I guess.
    > The
    > BIOS doesn't seem to show anything related to shutdown. Kernel has the
    > APM
    > stuff enabled. apmd is running. I've also googled, but can find nothing
    > useful. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > --

    Somewhere in KDE system options I saw that there were several shutdown
    options :
    1. restart with new user
    2. restart xx operating system
    3. shutdown.
    (btw I have no APM installed yet)
    (btw2 : does your soundmax work ?)

    Greetings,

    Frank Kalf

  3. Re: IBM T30 won't shut down.

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:46:57 +0100, Frank staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > edjlb wrote:
    >> Running Gentoo, 2.4.20-r9 kernel, on an IBM T30 Thinkpad. Whenever I
    >> shutdown, the computer restarts. Whether I click the "Turn off
    >> computer" option in the KDE logout applet, try "halt" or "shutdown -h
    >> now" at the console, makes no matter. The screen shows "Power down"
    >> for a second, then it reboots.

    > Somewhere in KDE system options I saw that there were several shutdown
    > 1. restart with new user
    > 2. restart xx operating system
    > 3. shutdown.
    > (btw I have no APM installed yet)

    Hm. Is your kernel compiled with the "use real mode BIOS call to power
    off" option set to "Y"? That may help. Anyway, they're up to kernel
    2.4.23 now, so it's time to upgrade if only for all the extra USB device
    IDs so a random storage device/printer/mouse has a greater chance of
    working when you plug it in.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!